Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

October 27th, 2003 16:00

Conexant Modem

Problem: Modem/FAX

Operating System: Windows XP

Problem Description:

Had to change the PCI seat of my connexant V92 56K internal modem from PCI slot 2 to 3. Slot 2 is now occupied by a Firewire/USB2 Adaptec Duocard (AUA3020), which must be installed in slot 2. Windows XP does recognise the device in slot 3 and calls it 'PCI Simple Communications Manager', but won't install the driver as supplied with my Dell system nor the one downloaded from the server. Modem is not functioning without driver, of course. Even without the Duocard, will the modem not install in slot 3 (nor 4).

How can I install the driver for the modem? Your help very much appreciated.

October 27th, 2003 22:00

HiddeGoinga,

Thank you for visiting the Dell Community Forum.

Try removing any reference to the modem from the Device Manager, shut down and unplug the system and then clear the NVRAM (see below). When done, restart and see if the system will now detect the modem.

You can find information on clearing the NVRAM on Dimension systems in the Dell Online Knowledge Base article located at the following web address:
http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=1023538

October 30th, 2003 07:00

Stephen,

Thanks. Tried all that, but unfortunately problem persists.

To be clear: the system DOES recognise the card in PCI slot 3 and it calls it 'PCI Simple Communications Centre', which is expected (see Dell's Modem installation guide). However, when the driver installation wizard is pointed to the C:\program files\conexant folder where I downloaded the modem's drivers, it cannot install.

My suspicion is that this may have to do with an incorrect 'INF' file and/or in combination with a registry file which still may have references to the modem in it (when it was sitting in PCI slot 2).

Alternatively, is the change of IRQ a problem for the modem drivers: the IRQ for the card in slot 2 was 11 and in slot 3 it has been changed to IRQ 17?

Please help. Thanks.

October 30th, 2003 19:00

HiddeGoinga,

The IRQ should not be an issue as PCI cards are supposed to be able share/us any available IRQ. Sometime a particular card will work better in some slots better then others though.

You may want to try downloading the following driver (I believe this is correct for your system) and following the provided installation instructions and see if that helps:

http://support.dell.com/filelib/format.aspx?releaseid=r32431

November 1st, 2003 18:00

Stephen,

Thanks. I did that before, but didn't resolve the problem.

Since my previous mail, I have tried some other PCI cards as well.

All PCI cards (incl. the Conexant modem one) suffer from the same problem: if installed in PCI slot 3 or 4, hardware is detected (it seems correctly) but driver cannot be installed correctly by Device manager. Device manager in one case gave 'Code 10: cannot start device', otherwise it just says: 'cannot install hardware'.

All cards work fine in PCI slot 2 and Device manager has no probelm finding and installing the correct driver.

PCI slot 3 and 4 are bridged PCI slots.

I have updated my BIOS to version A09 (as it was suggested A09 fixed some problems with PCI brdiged slots as well), but no resolution.

I now conclude that the problem is clearly related to my PCI slots and not to the PCI cards or the specific drivers for them. I guess it is either a hardware problem or a problem with the Plug and Play driver or.... 

Can you help me further? Can I test the PCI slots hardware.... any other updates for BIOS....?

Thanks in advance.

November 3rd, 2003 16:00

HiddeGoinga,

I don’t really have anything further to offer, you may just have to use that particular PCI slot for an internal modem. Another option you may want to look into is an external modem.

No Events found!