Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2005 21:00

Connecting a new XPS Gen5 Media Center PC to an existing XP Pro network

I have just purchased an XPS Gen 5 Media Center PC from Dell and want to connect to my existing home network of XP Pro PCs.  All three XP Pro machines are able to see each other and share resources just fine.

I have a LinkSys Wireless router that the MCE connects to directly right now.

The new PC can't.  When I try and show my workgroups, it says that the domain doesn't have access privileges on the other PCs.  I can access the XP Pro machine if I use the IP address and not a machine name.

The new PC shows up on the XP Pro workgroups, but when I access it, it says that I can't.

Is there something about MCE that will never let me do what XP Pro does now? 

I thought I would try MCE on this new machine, but if it can't co-exist with what I already have, I don't want it.   How much time do I have to send it back and get one with XP Pro?

1.8K Posts

September 6th, 2005 23:00

Are the 3 XP Pro machines wireless or wired to the router?

Does the MCE computer have Norton Internet Security installed on it?

12K Posts

September 7th, 2005 03:00

Are the existing Pro machines in a Domian or Workgroup?

September 7th, 2005 12:00

All are connected to my wireless router.  My main computer is direct connected,  the other 2 are wireless.

Yes it has MCE. 

I thought I disabled the firewall, but when I went to Nortin IS I saw that it was still enabled.  I disabled it and then things started to work better.

When I look at my existing computer Netwwork Places and select View Workgroup Computers, I see my new Gen5 and can click on it and open to see the shared folderss.  I assume this means that the old computers are in a work group, but not sure about this.  How do I check?

When I  look at my new computer Netwwork Places and select View Workgroup Computers, I don't see anything, but when I do a search for my old computer, I see it and all its shares.

Do I need to say what users have acces to my shares, to let them be shared between XP PRO and MCE?

September 7th, 2005 13:00

After disabling Nortin Internet Security and doing a refresh on "View Workgroup Computers", the old XP Pro system and it's shares showed up just fine.

I think the new XPS Gen 5  iMCE s now working fine on my existing XP Pro network.  I just need to remember to disable NIS.  I guess I disabled XPs firewall but not NIS.  On my old machine, I once tried to use NIS, but it caused more problems than it was worth and I uninstalled it.  I didn't know that it came with my new system

Thanks

1.8K Posts

September 7th, 2005 14:00

For home network security purposes you need to enable at least one software firewall! Having no firewalls enabled leaves your network vulnerable to internet hackers. Personnally, I would go with the Norton as it filters both incoming and outgoing data to your network. You can configure it to make exception to your network for file sharing and access.
No Events found!