Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 9th, 2016 18:00

Connecting to Wifi Network but No Internet Access?

I have a Dell LatitudeE 6400 running Windows 7 G4 bit.  I have had it since September and have never had a problem, but a few days ago I suddenly lost my internet connection.  The computer says I am connected to my wifi network but have no internet access.  After running a diagnostic it was recommended that I reboot the router, but that did not help.  I tried restoring my computer to an earlier time, before I lost the internet and that did not help either.  All of my room-mates computers have internet access through the same wifi network and have had no trouble.  I went to another location and with another wifi network was able to connect to the internet there.   I am at a loss to explain the problem, it seems to be an issue specifically between my computer and my wifi network only. 

My IP Configuration is below.

I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem or knows what the problem might be.  I am not at all knowledgeable about the workings of computers and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\User>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : laptop-PC

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F0-7B-CB-51-E3-AC

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.ca.comcast.net.

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-C

ard

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F0-7B-CB-51-E3-AC

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connecti

on

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-B9-BC-9A-0B

C:\Users\User>

1.8K Posts

January 11th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

Try deleting the wireless network profiles in your system and see if that helps.

1. Start Network and Sharing Center.

2. In the Tasks pane, click Manage wireless networks.

3. Right-click the connection you want to delete, and then click Remove network.

4. In the Manage Wireless Networks - Warning dialog box, click OK.

The connection is removed from the list of wireless connections that you can view or modify.

If this doesn't help please post back here and let us know.   For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-Todd username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number.

Todd

3 Posts

January 12th, 2016 04:00

I to have this same issue.

I have a Dell Inspiron 3521, the onboard Wi-Fi card connects to the router with 100% signal.

Gets a correct IP address but is unable to ping the router or load any web pages, including the router web interface.

I have installed a USB Wi-Fi adapter and this works.

In desperation I have installed winds again from scratch. (now restoring data) but again the onboard Wi-Fi card does not allow you to get out.

Wi-Fi adapter: Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b|g|n (2.4GHz)

Manufacturer: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.

Driver: 3.0.2.182

Driver Provider: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.

I ran the Dell online test which shows that yep the card is working but no internet.

Pinging loopback and the DHCP assigned address work but the router cannot be pinged.

• Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b|g|n (2.4GHz)
  • Signal Strength Test
  • Completed
  • Internet Communication Test
  • No Connection
  • PCI Express Status Test
  • Passed
  • Wireless Connectivity Test
  • Passed
  • Wireless Signal Strength Test
  • Passed
  • TCP/IP Internal Loopback Test
  • Passed
  • Local Network Communication Test

I did an update and the BIOS was updated to A14.

Any further suggestions?

1.8K Posts

January 14th, 2016 08:00

Wi-Fi adapter: Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b|g|n (2.4GHz)

Manufacturer: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.

Driver: 3.0.2.182

Driver Provider: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.

Hi,

For the Dell 1703, running Windows 10, I see the latest driver for the Inspiron 3521 as Version 10.0.0.0, A00.  Did Windows auto-install that driver version 3.0.2.182?   If so, try and download the version I linked and see if that helps.

Check out these links and see if the suggestions help:

Resolving Connection Issues on Your Wi-Fi Network for Windows 10

Was this an upgrade or did you purchase the system with Win10?  If an upgrade make sure you delete all previous drivers out of Device Manager before trying to install this new driver.  If it fails as well then delete the driver, reboot Windows and see if Win10 can find a native driver that works.

After that, check the security settings on the router.   (BTW, when is the last time you updated the firmware on your router?  It may need to be updated to work properly with Windows 10).  Try removing any security settings and firewalls on the router and see if that allows you to either ping or access websites.  (Make sure you turn them back on afterwards as this is only for test purposes).  Windows 10 has a firewall and if your router also has one running they may be conflicting with each other and causing problems.

Try those steps and let us know what you find out.

Todd

January 14th, 2016 16:00

Hi Todd

Sorry for the delayed response but I have limited access to the internet without my laptop.  Thank you so much for the suggestion, I tried what you said and unfortunately it was not effective.  It still says that I am connected to my home wifi network but have no internet access.

I attempted to contact Dell tech support on the phone and they were unable to do much for me as I do not have a Dell Order number (I purchased this laptop via ebay from a third party) and I guess this disqualifies me from their assistance.  I could still PM you with my Service Tag number but I do not have a Dell Order number.

1 Message

July 5th, 2018 12:00

I am having the same issue only mine says no networks but my phone and tv are connected to the internet. I tried hitting fn and then f2 then windows x and it wouldn't even show up. I restored my system and it still didn't work.  

1 Message

July 16th, 2018 07:00

The only fix I have found that worked for my Latitude E5540 for the problem: Connected to network but no internet.

The problem is Dell has a broken image from factory,

The solution, reinstall Windows from scratch, install the Chipset driver first and then the rest of the drivers from Dell.

No Events found!