Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

December 14th, 2008 06:00

Connection Prblms XPS M1530 with Dell wireless 1490 dual band WLAN Mini-Card

I  have problems connecting to a wireless travel router in my home with my XPS M1530.  The wireless card is a 1490 dual band WLAN Mini-Card.  The other PCs in my  home connect fine.  I've even had friends come over with their laptops and they connect fine.

Sometimes after 20 or so attempts I can finally connect.  At times I'm lucky and get in after only a few attempts.  Other times I'm unlucky and just give up.

Vista will display an "unable to connect for unknown reason". or "disconnected for an unknown reason" before the connection leave the "identifying" state.  I've used Vista's "Repair Connection" and ipconfig /release or renew to try to heal the problem, but am most times unlucky.

The event log shows HttpEvent Event ID 15016.  Microsoft says to ignore the message, which is fine, but I still want to connect.  I've googled and found instances of needing driver updates but from what I can see at dell.com I have the latest. 

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

1.7K Posts

December 15th, 2008 10:00

What driver version do you have installed now?  The easiest way to tell is to open the Network and Sharing Center, then on Manage Network Connections, double click the wireless icon, and on the status window click the  Properties button.  On the new window that opens select the Driver tab.

2 Posts

March 7th, 2009 21:00

I have had the same problem for a while with several driver versions including the latest A22-1 dated 02/01/2009.  Is the wireless card bad?

1.7K Posts

March 9th, 2009 12:00

You might have a bad card.  Swapping with one you know works would be an easy way to test it.

You probably want to contact tech support.

March 14th, 2010 11:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I’ve have a very similar problem between my XPS M1530 and an old 3Com 11g router from the day I bought the laptop. Dell support even had me re-format and replace Vista. No difference. 1 in 5 maybe 10 attempts and I got a connection. Then I turned off ‘Network Discovery’. Big improvement ! It connected reliably then for a year. Then today the same problem re-appeared. Network Discovery’ makes no difference. I think it’s a timing problem in the connection protocol affected by various things.

I found a solution or at least a work-around for today. It is this:-

1)  Have the connection protocol set to manual not auto.

2)  In Network and Sharing Centre do ‘Connect to Network’

3)  If you get ‘connection failure’, try again. Usually in my case I get ‘connection successful’ and all indications looking normal but no connection to the Internet. The repair/diags util recognizes that there is a problem but can’t fix it. The give-away is indicated on my router which loses it’s connection to the Internet which can be seen hacking on and off whilst the WLAN indicator hacks on and off. Eventually (30 secs or so) the router stabilizes. The router  lights look normal and the Network Centre either looks normal or has a red cross on the Internet link.

4) At this point, open the Dell Wireless card utility from the Network Centre.

5) You will probably see a lot of red noise indication and the history-graph progress is stalled. Go then to the ‘Diagnostics’ tab

6) Select hardware diagnostics and run

7) Select connection diagnostics and run

8) Go back to the ‘Link Status’ tab and with luck its green and ticking along nicely. That means the problem is gone and you will be able to access the Internet and other WLAN resources.

No Events found!