Highlighted

RE: Constantly need to "reset wireless network adapter"

Jump to solution

I have had the same problem for months, even sent back to Dell twice who couldn't fix it.  Considering getting a new network adaptor even though ive tried a USB one which still had the same problems. Something on my machine is telling  the wifi to switch off and I cant find what it is or why, there seems to be no pattern.

So I have now done the all of the following:

Didn't make any difference:

-I have tried connecting to different networks

-Several operating reinstalls (from you, me and DELL themselves)

- Used a different USB network adaptor card

-Replacement of brand new wireless adaptor, (same model) 

- Ran a fresh PC with no additional software (no antivirus, VPN any software changes etc)

-Changed power settings to not disable adaptor

-Completely uninstalled network device and reinstalled from Intel website both updating all drivers and running with an out of date previous driver.

Seems to be working currently with these changes:

-Reset driver to factory oldest version

- Set transmit power network setting to max performance, highest

- Set 11n channel Width for 2.4Ghz connections to 20mhz ONLY (Default is Auto)
- Set Preferred Band 2.4Ghz (Default is Auto)
-Set Roaming Aggressiveness 1. Lowest (Default is 3. Medium)
- Set Wireless mode 802.11b/g (Default is 802.11a/b/g)
-Set HT mode to VHT mode
- Login into router settings and disabled P2P settings and Enabled CAM.
- Opened “Wireless Settings” and disabled auto connecting to wireless hotspots.

So for now I will see if it finally has sorted the problem out it has worked for 48 hours currently

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

How on earth is this SOLVED!?! This is an ongoing problem. How do Dell and Microsoft not have clear and easily followed advice here. I've spent lots at Dell. But now I'm just dissatisfied.

Having to constantly restart or even manually restart the network adapter is ridiculous. Consistent internet is a modern expectation. And how is it being met? By consistently bad advice and reliance on a peer forum. I've paid for this advice before. Why should I again? This continues to be an issue. How often must I reset a modem, reinstall a driver, reset an adapter. This is quality customer service?

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am not tech savy and have no idea how to do that

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

#1 helped solve my drop-offs problem. Thanks!

Just to add-on, once you switched from "auto" to "a/b/g" and verified that the "drop-offs" stopped, you could then switch it back to "auto" again to auto toggle between a/b/g and n/ac, for me at least. Bummer if you'd have to settle with a/b/g for the rest of your laptop's life cycle, that's a big drop-off in terms of maximum transmission unit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for taking the time to post these solutions. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I've been having trouble with the wifi connection dropping out at irregular intervals since installing Windows 10. Please can you clarify what you mean by "defeat the "n" mode in Advance Settings" and explain how to find the DNS server address that you suggest changing from automatic to that of an open server?

Thanks in anticipation.

Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

1) If you have an agn wireless card, then if you go to the Properties of the Wireless adaptor in the  Network Section of the Device Manager and click on the Advanced Tab. There should be a reference to the "n" function of the adaptor, such as "Adhoc 1n". It may be referenced differently, depending on the brand of wireless card. Just change the setting to "Disabled".

2) To change the DNS Server Address, start by right clicking the Wireless icon in the Notification area of the Task and selecting "Network and Sharing Center. On the left side of the next page, select "Change Adaptor Settings and double click " WiFi Settings on the next page. In the WiFi Status box that comes up, click on Properties in the lower left corner. The next box is WiFi Properties. Look for "Internet Protocol Version 4". Double click on the name; do not click on the checkbox. In the next box, click the open circle at the bottom for "Use the following DNS Server Address". Then enter the two addresses for the Preferred and Alternate Servers: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. If you click on the Advanced selection and then on the DNS tab on the following box, you should see the two addresses in the Sever Address box. Then click OK and on the other boxes as they appear. If you do not understand this, then please DO NOT try to make the changes and find someone that does to try this.

Both of these fixes have worked for me on several different computers using both Win 8 and 10.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

KIRKD -- on the disabling "n", what the *** is the point in Dell selling n adapters if they don't work? That means that the WIFI speed will go down to G. So this "may" solve the problem, but creates a new one - that there is no point in buying this hardware in the first place. So while I appreciate your answer for people that don't know any better, I do know better, and this whole thing now turns into a scam. Dell sells "top-of-the-line" laptops with N WIFI, and after you pay that extra money for a new system and upgrades, you now have go go back to G speeds. And there is a big difference in G vs N, especially when streaming, and especially when you buy matching firewalls. This is not cool at all.

Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

The wireless card is NOT manufactured by Dell, and no one can predict when a piece of hardware will be incompatible with a future Operating System.

You can always purchase a new USB modem. You should check to see if disabling n function helps.

I used this fix for my  M1530 successfully with Win 10, and saw no degradation in video streaming performance.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I wasn't talking about a future OS. I bought a stock Dell system and I was just connection-less! I just booted up the machine and ran into nothing but problems. I give credit to Dell Tech Support guy that spent as much time as he did for trying to address the issue, but upgrading *everything* on the machine including BIOS ain't the fix. The laptop that was shipped to me had drivers so old that even the Dell Tech Support people appeared baffled. This was a system not functioning on-arrival!

Again, there you go with buying other stuff (like the new USB modem) to get around the bad laptop hardware/software configuration. I tested this *** with 5+ different firewalls, from consumer to business grade, and I tested 20+ connected clients. I can back my statements.

As for you fixing this by degrading from N to G the difference is huge, and it does not change my initial point of why is Dell selling n cards if the solution is to degrade to G. It remains a rip-off, and it seems that people like you don't have a problem with this, but I do. And your answer is the same as the one given by Dell, and also other providers I dealt with, like NETGEAR. It does not change the fact.

What are you anyway, a Dell lover? Don't just protect Dell because you like it for some who-knows-reason. I usually don't go out of my way to yap like I am doing in this thread, but enough is enough, especially when I may buy a $900 laptop from Dell, but then I am down for days waiting for Tech support to finally get back to me (and then not calling back anymore), and hours of my time. Multiply that time the number of people getting screwed by this?

Tell you what, I'm testing with Dell, HP, Asus, and IBuyPower. I don't have any affiliation nor special appreciation for any of them, but right now Asus is doing the best job for problems like this one.

0 Kudos