Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2006 22:00

D620 WLAN Utility won't launch - Internal configuration is inconsistent

Wireless card is Dell Wirele4ss 1490 Dual Band WLAN Mini-Card

Each time I try to launch the Dell WLAN Utility I get a message:

"Internal configuration is inconsistent. Please restart the machine to resolve the problem."

Restarting does not solve the problem.

The wireless card connects fine with Windows managing the connection. But what about the Dell Utility? What can be done so it will launch and I can let it manage the wireless connections?

I have reinstalled the Driver and utility using R115319.EXE

Any ideas why?

Message Edited by TrackBandit on 10-16-2006 06:19 PM

Message Edited by TrackBandit on 10-16-2006 06:22 PM

2 Posts

October 25th, 2006 12:00

Have you been able to solve this issue? I'm in the same boat with a few users experiencing this same problem.

Because they're remote and in a different timezone I can't determine if they're trying to use the Dell Utility or the built in MS wireless manager.

Are you seeing this error ONLY with the Dell utility?

As an aside, is there anyway to allow usage of the Dell utility when the users aren't admins of their machines?

Thanks in advance...

2 Posts

October 25th, 2006 12:00

That's odd. Most of our users are power users only and unable to edit the registry so they get numerous errors when editing their wireless connections. We could punch some holes in our securiity policies to allow specific key editing but who wants to do that? At this point the only people still using the Dell utility are Admins of their machines for one reason or another. We'll be migrating them to the SP2 utility ASAP.

I find it odd that both of us are seeing this issue around the same time. I wonder if it's MS patch related?

144 Posts

October 30th, 2006 16:00

if you're using an internal card, please make sure to also update your BIOS rev.

Message Edited by TadN on 11-07-2006 08:55 AM

October 30th, 2006 16:00

Yes, PLEASE dell, come up with a solution.  Wireless NIC drivers have been uninstalled / reinstalled, the wireless utility has been uninstalled and reinstalled.. same error Internal configuation is inconsistent.  Please restart the machine to resolve the problem.  and restarting doesn't take care of it either.  I've seen this on mulitpul models of Latitudes.

1 Message

November 7th, 2006 12:00

Hi

Please help I have an X300 and suddenly I am getting this message.  I have tried to install the SW from the support site but it makes no difference........

W

Message Edited by wonderfind on 11-07-2006 08:46 AM

November 7th, 2006 12:00

Bios updates are the latest and greatest, the reinstall of NIC drivers and Wireless NIC drivers are straight from Dell, same issue.  It's probably something simple but getting someone at Dell to resolve it is something else.  I've called multipul times, the standard support techs run thru the same textbook rules, uninstall, reboot, reinstall, hmm let me check, well since the drivers are the correct ones and it doesn't work it must be something we installed and end the call.

November 19th, 2006 22:00

Hi Folks,

Just another voice in the wilderness here...

I too am using a D620 with the 1490 Dual Band WLAN mini-card.

A few symptoms I've been having.
1) "Internal configuration is inconsistent," error.
2) Intermittent drops in wireless connection.  (Windows tells me that there are no wireless networks available.  I've tried 3 different brands of wireless G routers, a Linksys, a Netgear, and a generic.  None has worked significantly better than the others.)
3) When booting up, sometimes the WiFi indicator light comes on right after the BIOS loads, other times the WiFi indicator comes on after I have logged in to Windows, and sometimes the WiFi indicator won't come on at all.

Rebooting the system (multiple times in some cases) has allowed me to access my wireless network.

I have downloaded and installed the Urgent update: R140747.EXE

Frankly, I'm at a loss in trying to resolve this issue.  In running through the system diagnostics at boot up, there is no indication of any problem.

Has anyone had any success in resolving this issue?

Thanks!
Bob

9 Posts

November 20th, 2006 00:00

I have struggled with this identical issue on a Dell M70 for months (since A08).  Dell Support was useless, and the best they could recommend was reloading Windows XP.  Yeah, that's helpful and efficient....

Each time a new version of the WLAN driver and utility was released, I tried again...

I stopped using an earlier version due to a serious memory leak.

Anyway, after recieving the same annoying error, I changed the following registry key - and the utility launched!  Let's hope it still works after a reboot!

HKLM\Software\Broadcom\802.11\IsJustInstalled = 1

November 20th, 2006 11:00

LOL your last sentence said it all.  When you reboot it deletes the DWord and the Dell Wireless utility is gone again.  At least it's a step in the right direction.  If we can find out where the DWord is being deleted and stop it from being deleted, we've got a patch. We have a case in with Dell's senior tech support (in the USA).. it's been 5 days so I doubt they'll get-r-done.

Message Edited by byebyebusa on 11-20-200607:13 AM

1.7K Posts

November 20th, 2006 12:00

After updating to this new driver has the issue been resolved?

November 20th, 2006 12:00

No, the new driver does not resolve this issue. We are still waiting for Dell to come up with a fix.

November 20th, 2006 13:00

Unfortunately, updating to the new driver has not resolved the issue here either.  If there's any information I can provide to help resolve this issue, please let me know.

Thanks!

1.7K Posts

November 20th, 2006 13:00

I will do some checking for you, but it will take me a several days.

1.7K Posts

December 1st, 2006 16:00

I'm still checking on this error, but in the mean time let's do some troubleshooting and see if we can figure out where the problem is occurring. Oh and just to let you all know I work on a Latitude D620 with the 1490 card in it too but have no issues with the utility.

So, let's get started (now if you've done these steps that's fine just let me know that they are done and what the results were):

First I need to know what driver everyone is using. I see that most have updated to the one just released R140747.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> If you've not updated then please do so by downloading the driver to your desktop then uninstalling the current driver from Add/Remove Programs then install the updated driver. Of course check to see if the problem remains. If it does then let us know.

1. Next, let's do some clean boot troubleshooting. What we want to do here is to go to Start > Run and in box clear what ever is in the box out and type MSCONFIG. Then go to the Start Tab and click on Disable all then go through the list and look for the driver/wireless utility and put a check mark next to it. Click Apply then Close. The system will then ask to reboot. See if the error remains. Then let us know what happens.
  2. I also need to know does this only happen when you try to open the utility or is it happening at other times.
No Events found!