Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2008 11:00

Dell 1390 card and WPA

I've seen a few posts lately about people having problems connected to networks running WPA if they have the Dell Wireless 1390 card.  Considering how many of these I've seen in the last week, I wanted to try and collect some information about what systems are seeing the problem, and whether anyone has managed to fix things.  If this is a problem we need to fix, the more information I can pass to the engineers the faster they can get it taken care of.

So, to that end, can anyone that is having (or has had) this problem please post the following info for me:

• Wireless card (in case its not the 1390)
  • What OS (and service pack) are you running
  • What driver version do you have installed (and where its from it not from support.dell.com)
  • If other encryption settings work or not (specifically WPA2, WEP, and no-encryption)
  • If already solved, what fixed it for you.

Currently I'm not aware of a problem with the 1390 card, but enough of you have mentioned the problem that I want to make sure. :emotion-1:

1.7K Posts

December 8th, 2008 13:00

Checking the support site, the latest Dell version is 4.170.77.3 (Driver) for both Vista and XP.  Depending on what is causing the problem it is entirely possible a newer version is what is needed to fix the problem.

So, on topic, are (or were) you having the WPA problem?  Did the version 5 driver solve it for you?  What OS (and service pack) are you running?

While I understand why you posted the information you did, it really isn't info that will help me get to the bottom of the problem and get things fixed (if there is something that needs to be fixed).

623 Posts

December 8th, 2008 13:00

this is a problem we need to fix, the more information I can pass to the engineers the faster they can get it taken care of.

So, to that end, can anyone that is having (or has had) this problem please post the following info for me:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=ob-66350-1&lang=en&cc=us&mode=5

Dell can start by offering the Broadcom Wireless driver w/latest fixes...tired of having to rely on HP, Lenovo, and Toshiba to get the latest devices drivers for the Studio...

623 Posts

December 8th, 2008 15:00

Sorry.  Wasn't trying to derail your thread...

http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/networking_internet_wireless/802-11a-amp-802-11b-g-draft-n-smart-load-balance-and-failover-channel-bonding-using-dual-wlan-mini-pcie.aspx

Above setup using the latest Broadcom driver under x64 Vista Ultimate SP1...working great!

WPA2 Personal AES...

1.7K Posts

December 8th, 2008 15:00

Sorry.  Wasn't trying to derail your thread...

No problems ;)

Did you happen to run into the problem with WPA1 on the 1390 card?  From what I've seen in other posts WPA2 wasn't a problem (and isn't for me on two systems, a Mini 9 with a 1390 and my D630 with a 1490 currently connected via WPA2).

http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/networking_internet_wireless/802-11a-amp-802-11b-g-draft-n-smart-load-balance-and-failover-channel-bonding-using-dual-wlan-mini-pcie.aspx

Above setup using the latest Broadcom driver under x64 Vista Ultimate SP1...working great!

WPA2 Personal AES...

Thank you for providing the wiki entry on it.  That is the type of content we're hoping to get, so the site becomes generally more useful in helping people fix whatever problems they run into.

1 Message

June 21st, 2009 03:00

I'm having the same problem with a brand new 1545 running Vista Home Premium SP1, 32-bit, Broadcom Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card, driver version 5.10.38.26, dated 22/10/2008.   It will connect fine to a Belkin router if security is disabled or WEP is used but will do nothing if WPA is selected.  3 other laptops and a  PC have no problem.  It's a real problem that needs to be resolved.

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2009 04:00

oops 1395 mini

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2009 04:00

Vista

the original drivers installed on my vostro 1000

see my post 6/22 

I didn't  this until after I posted or I would have replied here instead.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 1st, 2009 10:00

Hi Larry

I have a problem with connecting with my WLAN, could you help me? I have Vostro 1500 with Dell Wireless 1390 mini-Card and Linksys WAG200G access point which is set up to "WPA2-Personal" Security mode with AES authentication. In Dell wireless WLAN Card Utility on a laptop it shows "Connection status: Authenticating", "Encryption type: AES; Key Absent", though I wrote exact passphrase in its connection properties. The signal looks like failing (no signal) every 2 minutes for about 10 sec and the process starts over.  "AP MAC address" field changes from exact linksys's MAC to all zeros (00:00:00:00:00:00) every 5-6 sec for a sec. On laptop "Network authentication" field set up to WPA-Personal (PSK).

Windows XP Prof SP2

driver version 4.170.77.3

It worked with WEP. It works with WPA (TKIP authentication) with the same passphrase and the same laptop configuration.

Regards,

Alex

14 Posts

October 1st, 2009 11:00

Larry,

You seem to be extremely knowledgeable and hopefully a little patient.   I have an XPS 1210 laptop and I believe something had happened to my internal wireless card. As you can tell, I am computer illiterate.  I have tried numerous suggestion from this forum and have done a system reparir but I am still back to my basic question.

If my internal wireless card is gone (fried) can I just buy another one for THIS computer.  I tried to put in a wireless Linksys card and it wouldn't fit - so can you suggest a brand if there is one.

I am not sure whether my wireless is fried or not  - here is the info I get when I look in the Device Manager under Network

1394 Network Adaptor

Broadcom 440 x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Thank you!!!!!

No Events found!