Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2006 17:00

Dell 1600N Scanner not found on network?

W/ PaperPort get "Port is disabled. ..."

Trying their indications to run the Network
wizard to Add a scanner--the result of that is "Scanner not found"

Went to Dell and saw there's a new driver (55+MB!) that
indicated a fix for network TWAIN-related so finally(!) was
able to get it downloaded and installed. Result (as I'm sure you've
guessed by now :) was the same.

So, any ideas of what to do next in the sequence of "complex steps
involved..." to diagnose scanner problems?

BTW, it will scan to the network from the front panel (altho for some reason it is returning a B&W image). Also, the printer functions normally afaict so presume that indicates the network itself is ok.

System itself is Dimension 9150 w/ XP Home and the printer was part of the original package. Any advice appreciated.

7.9K Posts

July 7th, 2006 18:00

i was under the impression that all network scans had to go through the dell network scan manager program. that program has options to set for color or b&w as well as the resolution. when you use the front panel of the scanner is queries the network to see which computers have the program installed and running. you select one from the list and it asks the program what type and resolution of scan -- the program then receives the document from the scanner and exports to what you selected (pdf for example).

i wasn't aware you could use a program like paperport at all over the network with this scanner but let me know if you get it working.

7.9K Posts

July 7th, 2006 21:00

Again, the software I have is called the 'Dell Network Scan Manager'. If you select the device and click preferences, you can change these options under the image type heading.

I was under the impression the software you're talking about was of more use if the printer was attached to a computer locally (via USB for instance).

3 Posts

July 7th, 2006 21:00

Dell Scan Center is to quote from the Dell ScanCenter Help --

Dell ScanCenter is a PaperPort program that enables you scan items and send them directly to PaperPort or other programs on your computer without first running PaperPort.
Using Dell ScanCenter, you can scan an item and immediately send the item to either:
· A program on the Dell ScanCenter Send To bar...
· The PaperPort desktop — ...

ScanDirect Help Copyright © 1996-2003, ScanSoft, Inc."

From there the symptom is the same..."Port is disabled"

I see little point in Dell having distributed it w/ the printer/scanner if there's a fundamental problem w/ connecting to the scanner from it. Nor do I see anything that says it isn't compatible. It also doesn't make any sense to me that it goes across the network _to_ the PP desktop but would be unable to scan on request from PP across the same network to the same location...

I also don't see anywhere there to make a selection of B&W/color--it is simply a set of links to various apps such as Word, Paint, etc. I see no options whatever other than selection of which you want. Could you at least point me to that and at least I could get the immediate task accomplished and deal w/ the fundamental issues later?

3 Posts

July 8th, 2006 01:00

>...the software I have is ... 'Dell Network Scan Manager'.

Yes, that's the one that I said (or at least meant to say if I wasn't clear) couldn't seem to find the device to Add the scanner (and w/o and active scanner simply displays the icon for the Add Wizard.

>If you select the device and click preferences, you can change these options under
>the image type heading.

I see that now that there is a scanner online--until then, the right click only has limited functionality so I couldn't see it.

I have absolutely _NO_ idea what is now different than before, but I decided I'd try one_more_time (TM) and lo! and behold, by providing the IP address instead of the scan it found it this time.

>I was under the impression the software you're talking about was of more use if the printer was attached to a computer locally (via USB for instance).

That appears to be so altho there's nothing in the documentation that I see that says that it isn't functional from the PC if the scanner is on the network.

Anyway, I'm now functional at least for the time being.

Thanks for at least attempting altho again, it seems to be one of the cases as one of my physics prof's used to say about pair production--"and then magic happens" because again I have no idea what is different now than for the previous two days' efforts.
No Events found!