Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2011 12:00

Dell Inspiron 6000 can't activate wifi

All of a sudden I can not get the WiFi light on my laptop to come on when I hit Fn F2 and the wireless internet icon in the task bar says not connected.

When I try to view the available wireless networks available it says that there are none and that I need to make sure the wireless card on the laptop is turned on.

When I look in Wireless Network Connection Properties I can see, under Wireless Networks,  all the wireless networks near by, including mine, but they all have an "X" next to them.

The bios says that the device is set to On and the hot keys are the same.

I can connect via a Cat5 cable with no problems.

Device manager doesn't report any problems.

I started Quick Set and each time I press Fn F2 it shows the internet tower either on or "Xed" out.

In Quick Set it says the current status of the NIC card is On.

Power Management is set to Highest so that  wireless doesn't cut off on battery.

Any ideas what I need to try next?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 10th, 2011 15:00

Big Dawg1,

See if How to repair a connection works.

Without knowing which wireless adapter, this could be guesswork.

Start, control panel, device manager, network. Any yellow exclaimination marks or red x's? Is your adapter listed? If so, click on your adapter, advanced. Look and see it your adapter has antenna diversity. Some adapters have this and some don't if you have this, change the antenna diversity from auto to aux. Also click on the power management and uncheck the box, allow Windows to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Can you connect?

Rick

18 Posts

August 10th, 2011 20:00

I decided to re-install the wireless driver instead of trying all that and it worked! Up and running just fine now.

Thanks any way.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 11th, 2011 03:00

Big Dawg1,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

May 28th, 2020 11:00

My solution to wifi issue, After spending many hours on many forums looking for an answer I solved my problem by plugging in a usb Realtek 8811cu wireless adapter and disabling the inbuilt one. This is on a Inspiron 6000 running windows xp.

Cheers, Bob.

No Events found!