Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 16th, 2004 18:00

Dell Truemobile 1150 Mini-PCI WPA - FIX!

Hello Peeps,

I got fed up with the atrocious support Dell has offered for the Truemobile 1150 Mini-PCI card so I went looking for a fix. This fix isn't supported by Dell or anyone else, but it works for me. Don't whine if it doesn't work or causes your laptop to emit green sparks or anything else. However, it works for me under Windows XP SP1 on the Latitude C400.

Download:

http://www.agere.com/support/drivers/windows_drivers_sr02-2.3.zip

Extract the zip file and update the driver for the wireless card. You have to select "Install from a specific location" and then "Don't search, I will select the driver to install". Select Have Disk and then point it to that driver location. Select Lucent under manufacturer and ORiNOCO Mini-PCI Card under Network Adapter.

Ignore the warnings that it doesn't match the hardware and continue. The 1150 will then support WPA. As an aside, it seems to resolve the problems I've been having with the card not staying connected to the access point, and it seems a bit faster too.

Regards,

John

P.S. Dell, get your act together and start updating your drivers. I know you have a lot of machines and configurations to support, but that doesn't excuse you. Even the Windows XP driver is more up to date than your driver on your website!

1 Message

January 4th, 2005 03:00

John-

I just tried the same WinXP fix for my 1150 Mini-PCI in my Inspirion 4150 and it's working fine (it's why I'm able to post this now...!)  Thanks for the tip.

Gerard

No Events found!