Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2015 15:00

Dell Wireless 1704 WiFi + Bluetooth Driver issue

I've previously had problems with this driver before. Last time I tried installing it the driver wouldn't install because it kept activate bluetooth by using the wireless switch, but bluetooth was already on. I'm not quite sure what the issue was. So, not to long ago I had factory reset my laptop, and I have been trying to bridge connections with my Xbox 360. After several hours of trying to get it to connect to Xbox live I was wondering if there was anything wrong with my drivers, so I tried installing the lastest driver again, and it just so happened to be the same driver with no update. Tried installing the driver again, and get the same error message. What could possibly be the issue with this driver?

1.8K Posts

April 29th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

You said you had problems before, should I assume that you were able to install it at some point?  Is so, how were you able to get it installed eventually?  Or did you roll back to a previous driver version?

You didn't mention which model of system you're using, just the model of the wifi card.  Which computer are you using?   You can go to our Dell Support Pages and, using your service tag, find a list of the drivers available for your system.  If you check out the network drivers you'll find the wifi drivers.  If you click on them it should take you to a page that lists the previous versions as well as the current one.  Have you tried rolling back to one of the earlier drivers?  Maybe that will help resolve the problem.

I found this article with some information that might be of some help to you.  Please let me know if earlier driver versions help, or if the article has some information you can use.

Todd

12 Posts

April 29th, 2015 14:00

The model name is Dell Inspiron 15 (3541, Mid 2014). I never properly got the drivers downloaded correctly per say, but when I get the error message and exit out the wifi and bluetooth drivers pop up. I'm not sure why this happens, and it leads me to believe that the drivers don't get installed properly which causes my problems.

1.8K Posts

May 1st, 2015 07:00

Hi,

When you go into Device Manager, are there red or yellow warning signs on that driver listing?  (should be under Networks).   Do you see multiple instances of that driver listed in there?

Maybe you can try removing any drivers for wireless adapters in Device Manager, then reboot your system and see if Windows can locate / install one, then try connecting again.  

One other quick question.   Since you are connecting to an XBOX, does that mean your system is also connected to a wireless router / network?  And does that wireless connection work?

Todd

12 Posts

May 7th, 2015 18:00

No, no yellow or red warning signs. I did also try to uninstall, and reinstall the drivers and I did get my drivers back. The odd thing was that half way through the installation process it gave me the same error message, but when I exited out of the installation all of my network drivers were back. Its really strange, but still no progress with my issue. As for what I have my laptop connected to I am using my phone as my internet connection, and I am trying to bridge my connections through wifi. I'm quite sure why it isn't working, I've entered my Mac address, and everything but I still can't get anything to work. I'm not sure if its an issue with my driver, or what, but like I said it has worked before.
No Events found!