Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 8th, 2008 14:00

Dell wireless 1390 WLAN mini-card malfunction

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop running and with a Dell 1390 WLAN mini-card installed and a Broadcom 44/10x100 integrated controller.

Unfortunately I've never been able to get this laptop to function with my wireless Internet, and I strongly hope someone here will be able to help me. You're my last hope, guys!! 

Anyway, here's what happens: Everything's working out nicely, and the computer connects to the network smoothly. After 5-10 minutes of full and unproblematic Internet connection the computer crashes the wireless network i.e. the Inspiron and all other computeres connected to the network is disconnected and my wireless network no longer shows up on the list of available networks.

The network works perfectly with every other computer I've used with it.

I've installed the newest drivers for both the 1390 and the integrated controller from this site. And my Vista is of course also fully up to date.

On the advice of a friend, I've also tried turning the antennae settings to "aux" - Alas, to no avail.

Can somebody out there help me?

Yours,

Kristen

4 Posts

March 21st, 2011 15:00

Hi,

I really don't know much of IT.... all I can tell you is that changing my wlan card (after 2 years of trial and error) solved everything. 

Good luck

Dodoa

March 21st, 2011 15:00

Hi,

I'm on Vista 32-bit. I'm wondering if all this is due to corrupted registry values. I've looked at other forums with lots of people having wireless issues after an /MS update. When I tried to "start" the wlan autoconfigure it gave me an error code of 0x 80040154 Class not registered

Thanks

David

March 21st, 2011 17:00

Thanks - I might have to do the same. At least then I can eliminate it as the problem

Cheers

March 24th, 2011 15:00

Hello, it's Vista.

1 Message

April 9th, 2011 06:00

I think the problem is with the 2008 version of the dell 1390  WLAN driver.  Everytime it gets update on my Dell inspiron 1720, am unable to conncet to internet, and my router is sent into a tizzy.  Once I roll back the drivers to the 2007 version (which is the one Dell has for my service tag) the problem is once again resolved.

April 11th, 2011 02:00

Thanks, worth a try.

July 5th, 2011 13:00

I have the same problem. We had to upgrade our DSL hub to a ActionTech through our phone company. Now my older Inspiron E1705 with the Dell wireless 1390 WLAN mini-card says its on and operating however it will not recognise the hub not even if I plug it directly into the computer.  My list is empty when I try to search for a connection. The device manager says everything is working properly. Is it my new hub or has the wireless card died? Can someone please email me and let me know what to do next. Thanks
<ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>

July 5th, 2011 16:00

Hello 

I reset the laptop to original factory settings and hey presto, everything works! IT's a nuisance as you have to download useful stuff all over again but WORTH IT!!  Good luck

1 Message

August 1st, 2011 10:00

Any suggestion for executing this fix on post-Vista, Windows 7?? Steps above for that driver are not working for us.

Thanks for putting us in the right direction to begin with Larry!

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

October 20th, 2011 10:00

Wow.  What a surprise.  Dell never helped you.  Wonder how many million Dell owners join your chorus.  Include me.

11 Posts

October 24th, 2011 20:00

I am using a fully updated Vista OS in a Dell Inspiron E1405 with 1390 WLAN card which didn't work with driver vs. 4.102.x dated 11/2006, but then what worked was the vs.5.60.x dated 8/2009 coming from:

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

6 Posts

November 9th, 2011 12:00

Ah, I so wish this multi-device driver had worked for me. I've installed the driver as listed but my wireless still connects only locally, no internet. After three days of trying everything: restores, drivers, etc., I can still connect to the router but not the internet. Stopped working out of nowhere, no new installations. Dell says it's software and wants over $100 to fix it.

Is there any way to really determine whether this is a hardware or software problem? I see people have struggled with this before. And, I did pay for another two years of hardware warranty so would I void it if I just put in another wireless card to see if it works? That would be so much cheaper - and faster - than letting Dell techs waste hours of my time.

Thanks for any help...

Sharon

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 9th, 2011 18:00

Sharon,

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Click on network, 1390 adapter, advanced. Look for antenna Diversity. Change it from Auto to Aux, then restart your computer and try to connect with the wireless adapter.

Rick

6 Posts

November 13th, 2011 00:00

Thanks for the suggestions Rick. Strangest thing happened. When I got back place B, where I was formerly working, everything connected up as expected. I will never understand what went wrong.

1) The computer connected just fine at places A and B the week before, as well as associated libraries.

2) For some strange reason, when I went to place A last week, I got the above behavior there AND at associated library. Which is why I thought the problem was something other than that local router.

3) When I traveled back to place B, everything connected up again, at residence and two diff. libraries

4) No idea what to expect when I travel back to place A, which had been no problem previously. (And to which my iPod had no trouble connecting either time, so obviously no settings on that end had changed.)

I don't even want to puzzle this anymore, just too freaking weird to comprehend. Thanks, again, and I'll keep you posted if anything interesting transpires next iteration.

:-)

Sharon

2 Posts

November 13th, 2011 07:00

I have been searching the internet for a solution and read through this thread a few times and just noticed the dates of the last few posts.

My wireless with the 1390 card stop working out of the blue last week or so. Running Vista on a Dell1520 laptop. Haven't changed anything.

I bought a replacement from ebay as the computer wasn't even seeing the card any more and the wifi light wasn't on. New card was recognised, wifi light was on, didn't work though. Uninstalled drivers, took out card. rebooted, installed again, still didn't work, tried again and it seemed to work for a day then it vanished again. Tried old card and the laptop saw that again which surprised me and the wifi light was on.

Both cards seem to see my router but nothing else and won't connect but when they do work they see a few other routers in the building not just my own and connect, ask for key and works fine.

Now they only see my network, connecting, ask for key after a longer wait and doesn't connect.

I've tried a few suggestions in here but nothing is working. It's like it has lost it's strength or something as everything else about the card checks out, computer sees it,  no problems, wifi light on, bios settings are fine.

Could a wire I'm not seeing have come loose or any other problem?

The motherboard slot seems fine, can't tell if the wires from the card are fine, would have to dig deeper to wherever they go but connect to the car okay.

No Events found!