Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2017 18:00

Dell wireless 802.11 is not compatible with update 1709 (windows 10 Fall Creator Update)

I have Dell Inspiron 3542 already have BIOS A12 latest. I am currently using latest driver 1705 wireless 802.11 too. Before doing update to 1709 (Windows 10 Fall Creator Update) I had no complain at all. My wireless WiFi worked very fine. But after update to 1709 this wireless WiFi, Airplan Mode, and Mobile Hotspot stop working completely. I reattempted to reset and reinstall Network, as well as uninstalling the driver and then reinstalled them back on, but come to no avail . I even tried the other driver Dell Wireless 104.1078 driver but had no hope.

Now I am using cable to hook up internet while waitng for either DELL make a new driver update or Microsoft itself fix this problem. 

1 Message

November 16th, 2017 03:00

Hi all PC gurus.

I have just solved this Dell wireless 802.11 Wifi problem (problem is WiFi cannot work with Windows Fall Creator Update 1709 ) of mine with the help of an expert guru of the year 2017 named PCR.

What I did was I press Fn+PrtScr (that is hold "Fn" key, then press "PrtScr" key) keys to toggle AirPlane Mode to "ON". Then I press/turn the WiFi to "ON".

Now I can use Wifi to surf the internet.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 26th, 2017 06:00

Hi banhmeden,

Thanks for posting.

Have you tried this driver?  http://dell.to/2iBJY2r

3 Posts

October 26th, 2017 17:00

Hi Robert P

I did tried that driver 1704/1708 but very hopeless.

Let me explain to you by details of what happens.

I have windows 10 on my laptop Dell Inspiron 3542 and everything works fine and charmingly. Untill within this week do the "check update" in Microsoft Windows, then it downloaded MIcrosoft Update 1709, which is also known as Windows 10 Fall Creator Update.

After update, everything works fine except Dell wireless 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz. If I go to Device Manager, it shows no "X", nor it shows any complain about this driver. So, assumingly the new Windows 10 Fall Creator Update does see this Dell Wireless hardware. But when I scanned "Trouble-Shooting" for internet then it reported back that I can only connect to Network Card (or Network Cable) and cannot fix the WiFi.

When I go to "Network & Internet Settings" on the Wifi. Once I clicked on WiFi button, It stayed "ON" 1 or 2 seconds then bounced back to "OFF" like a "Circuit Breaker" or the "Short Circuit Switch".

If I go to "Network" icon on the right-bottom of the screen for Internet, then there are 2 things happen:

(1) Without network cable connected for Internet, then my Wifi button, Airplane Mode  button, and Mobile hotspot button display "dim" (means inactive or disable I guess)

(2) With network cable connected for Internet, then Airplane Mode button is dim, WiFi button stay dim, whereas the "Mobile hotspot" button stay "bright" (means active or enable). When I click on this" Mobile hotspot" button then it displayed names of WiFi connections in around area for 1 or 2 seconds then bounced back to OFF state like a Circuit Breaker. But after that the WiFi button alternately stay "bright"whereas the Mobile hotspot alternately stayed OFF. If I hit the WiFi button, then I can see a few names of Wifi Connections around the area for 1 or 2 seconds then disappeared and  it bounced to OFF state like a Circuit Breaker. Conclusively the WiFi button and the Mobile Hotspot button just stays ON/OFF alternately whichever you press.

I even tried update to latest BIOS A12 for my laptop, then I tried Airplane Mode driver provided by Dell but so useless. I tried update to uninstall and reinstall to very latest driver for wireless wifi of Dell released 1705, 1704/1708...  but no avail. I even tried REALTEK 802.11 and Broadcom 802.11 with hope but come to no where.

This is the problem of Windows 10 Update bugs rather than Dell Driver bugs, But I don't know how long MIcrosoft will release this new patch. If it was Dell Driver bugs, then It must shows "X" in Device Manager, right?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 27th, 2017 04:00

Try to right click the Dell Wireless Card in the Device Manager and then select Uninstall. Then restart your computer and let Windows 10 reinstall the driver. This has worked on some other systems. After that try installing the following drivers.

Windows 10×64 7.35.340.0 and BT 12.0.1.750

3 Posts

October 27th, 2017 08:00

Hi Philip Yip,

Thank for suggestion. I did your step and I even press "RESET NETWORk" ... but it did not solve solution. If this was a PC box, I shall take the wireless Wifi card out and reboot the system, then I shall shut down the PC and put back the wireless WiFi card into the PC.When PC is turned back on it will see a new hardware and will automatically install new driver, then the wireless Wifi may work. But in this case, this is a laptop. So I cannot remove the wireless WiFi like the PC as it is built-in.

2 Posts

October 31st, 2017 20:00

I have the exact problem on my Alienware 15 r2 after i did the update. I thought it was just an update issue so I did a clean install of the OS ... still not working.

Did anyone found the solution?

2 Posts

October 31st, 2017 21:00

I have the exact same issue on my Alienware 15 R2. Does anyone have a solution? At first it happened when I did the update, so I decided to do a clean install of the OS and the problem persist.

14 Posts

December 5th, 2017 11:00

Having the same problem here on Inspiron  3442, AFTER  1709 (Windows 10 Fall Creator Update), latest bios, latest wifi driver (Qualcomm QCA9565 WiFi Bluetooth Driver, Version 10.0.0.352, A08, Last Updated

23 Nov 2017)

The problem DOES NOT happen in Windows 8.1 or on Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS or Ubuntu 17.10

The problem DOES NOT happen in Windows 10 using FIXED IP, only on DHCP

14 Posts

December 6th, 2017 06:00

TRY THIS

* Right-click the Start button
* Type device
* Select Device Manager
* Click View
* Check Show hidden devices
* Expand Network adapters
* Rihgt click Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
* Click Disable device
* Close the Device Manager and restart the computer
* Once you have completed the steps, your computer should no longer stop losing wireless connectivity every time you restart

December 10th, 2017 11:00

Man I just love you

1 Message

December 22nd, 2017 12:00

You are a life saver... It worked... thank you so much

1 Message

March 4th, 2018 20:00

Sir you are a genius. Thank you for taking the time and sharing. It worked like a charm

March 8th, 2018 07:00

just done this restarted and no probs so far cheers hope this solved it. by the way it was doing this before ive installed 1709 creators it wont install keeps failing.. 

3 Posts

April 4th, 2018 16:00

Hi, This worked for about 3 weeks. Then problem started again. The Microsoft virtual adapter is still off. How do turn it back on again, so I can turn it back off. The enable device is grayed out. Thanks

1 Message

April 29th, 2018 07:00

Disabling the Wi-Fi virtual adaptor DID NOT fix the problem on my Dell Laptop.
No Events found!