Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

January 23rd, 2004 05:00

Digital Line Detected (PBX) : Please verify that your phone line from your computer is directly connected to a standard analog modem or fax line.

Every now and then we get the following error pop up message on our Dell Latitude D600 computers:

"Digital Line Detected (PBX) : Please verify that your phone line from your computer is directly connected to a standard analog modem or fax line."

This happends when there is no phone line connected to the modem, and no attempts to use the modem is made.

I get the error almost every time, when I return to my computer, and unlock the screensaver.

We have XP Pro version and the modem is a "Conexant D480 MDC V.9x Modem".

Any ideas why this happends?

7 Posts

January 26th, 2004 04:00

Just wanted to second the question. I have a 8600 running XP Pro and sees the same thing. Especially after I exit the DVD player. Anyone know the problem? I guess I can just remove the Digital Line Detect program from the Startup folder but would like to know why this is happening to begin with...

-V-

26 Posts

January 29th, 2004 13:00

I'm getting the same error message on my 8600 with WinXP Pro. It doesn't seem to cause any problems -- click OK and it goes away -- but it sure is annoying to have it keep popping up.

How do we disable this message?

35 Posts

January 29th, 2004 23:00

I am getting the same message every now and then on my Inspiron 8600 with XP Pro. Not using the modem at all. Click OK and it goes away, but I can't figure out any steps to reproduce it every time.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2004 03:00

I am getting the same error on my Inspiron 8600 with the Conexant D480 MDC V.9x Modem.  This happens when no modem is attached, just an ethernet cable.  The 1400 wireless card is detecting a wireless connection available(a neighbor who hasn't secured it)...I can't think of any other conditions surrounding this.

Thanks

7 Posts

January 30th, 2004 06:00

I moved the Digital Line Detect program from the Startup folder so it doesn't automatically get loaded at startup, and I haven't seen that message since. And the laptop is runing fine too...

-V-

January 30th, 2004 07:00

Well only suggestions I get to correct the funktionality is to remove the functionality.

That is not actually correcting the problem with Dell & modem.

I do not think this is a big deal, only thing I wory about is :

- Why did they add this function?

- It is said that digital phone line has different voltage compared to analog, and it can damage the computer / modem?

4 Posts

January 30th, 2004 12:00

I will be travelling and using phone lines at hotels so I don't want to disable it fully, though that would get rid of the problem.  It's quite annoying and just last night happened 5-6 times within 1/2 hour.  BTW, I have XP Home. 

7 Posts

January 30th, 2004 13:00

We have also seen this issue on multiple Latitude D600 notebooks.  Surely there is some better solution than simply removing the functionality completely.  Has anyone found anything better yet?  Thanks in advance!

26 Posts

January 30th, 2004 14:00

I tried to find the digital line detect program in the startup folder but couldn't find it. What's the filename? I'll search for it.

Is anyone at Dell monitoring this thread? If so, what's Dell's take on this issue?

February 10th, 2004 21:00

i have the SAME problem! dell please fix the problem!

i have 8600, xp pro, and everytime i unlock i got this error!

please provide fix asap.

4 Posts

February 12th, 2004 13:00

hi. i was working with an I8500 and we encountered the same error message.

we were trying to install an optical mouse to it, and after that the error message started to appear.  we found out that the driver for the mouse was not updated for windows xp, so we uninstalled it and the error message disappeared.

hope this helps.

26 Posts

February 12th, 2004 13:00

Thanks for the additional info. I'm using an optical mouse on my 8600, but I didn't install any new drivers with it. It's a small, Microsoft-branded, USB, corded mouse. I don't suspect the mouse to be the culprit.

Ultimately, I found and removed the Digital Line Detect shortcut in the Start Up folder; that fixed the problem. But, as mentioned in another post in this thread, it seems like there should be a better way than killing the application to remedy the problem.

4 Posts

February 12th, 2004 17:00

well you can try to use msconfig and put that item back in STARTUP, then try uninstalling your mouse software if you have any and see what happens.

or if you did not install any software for the mouse, you can do the same, but instead of uninstalling the mouse sfw, just try not plugging it in.

if the problem stops then you have isolated the error message to that optical mouse.

and if this is the case, i suggest you try installing winxp drivers for that mouse if you can find any.

its worth a shot. :)

February 12th, 2004 20:00

do we have to flood the phone tree in order to get a fix on this?? cathy??? anybody?

February 18th, 2004 12:00

I am having a similar problem when I run some software on my system.  The digital line detected message appears and all windows are minimized.  I would like to disable or remove dlg.exe.  Would this cause any problems for my system?
No Events found!