Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2005 17:00

Dynamic IP address and Roadrunner Cable Modem

How do I get my 2-yr-old Dimension to create a dynamic IP address?  I can't imagine why it's refusing -- I must have some software that's preventing it?  Roadrunner cable is working fine (new service) but my machine won't assign an IP so I'm not getting online.  Should I run a winsock fix?  Firewall is already 'off', Norton is 'on'.

Please tell me this is an easy fix.

Thanks for all help!

16 Posts

January 26th, 2005 17:00

OK, I've done the release/renew thing in the command box.  Still no ip address -- says my RPC server is unavailable.

Anyone done this before?  Seems common, but new to me.

Thanks again,

Clara

28K Posts

January 26th, 2005 22:00

Try downloading and running winsockfix for Windows XP from the Here and if that doesn't work try lspfix from Here.  Note also that any time you change the device connected to a cable modem, you need to do a complete reset.  Power down the modem and computer, power up the modem, wait 5 minutes, then power up the computer.

Steve

16 Posts

January 27th, 2005 10:00

Steve, when you say I need to power down after a device change, does that include after running the fix programs?  I tried the power-down approach before I tried the winsockxpfix.  No luck.  The fix utility didn't work either.  Guess I'll assume you meant to power down again before I run the other fix...guess it can't hurt! 

Now, even after the winsockxpfix, I'm being told my RPC server is unavailable...same as before.  Can't renew the ip address.

Any other thoughts?  I'm a pessimist...doubting the power of the second fix utility!

Thanks again,
Clara

28K Posts

January 27th, 2005 12:00

Go to Start > Run and type services.msc then click OK.  Find the Remote Procedure Call on the list of services, then double click on it.  Make sure it is set to automatically start, then reboot the computer.  Go back into services.msc and see if it is now starting when you start your computer.

Steve

16 Posts

January 27th, 2005 13:00

OK, I did those things.  It was already set to start up automatically.  It said status was 'started', startup type was 'automatic', and log on as was 'network service'.  I noticed that most other items in the list show the log on as 'local system'.  Could that be a problem?  This is just my home computer -- no network except that I've got a printer hooked up.  The Roadrunner cable modem is new this week, so am I now considered a 'network'?

Thank again for all help.  feeling stupid over here...
Clara

2K Posts

January 27th, 2005 14:00

While you are in Services.msc, also confirm that DHCP Client is set to Automatic and is started.

16 Posts

January 27th, 2005 17:00

OK, did that.  The DHCP was 'stopped'.  When I tried to 'start' it I got:

Could not start the DHCP Client service on local computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Thanks again, in advance, for everybody's help,

Clara

28K Posts

January 27th, 2005 17:00

Have you recently uninstalled Norton Antivirus?  If so, the uninstall of some Norton Products leave entries in the registry which prevent the DHCP client from starting.  If you did uninstall a Norton product, I'll try to find the information that will allow you to edit the registry and correct the problem.

Steve

16 Posts

January 27th, 2005 19:00

That's ringing a bell for me.  I just renewed my Norton subscription in the last couple of months.  In the back of my mind I remember having to uninstall something so that the new Norton would run.  Is that possible??  Wouldn't Norton know how to install itself w/o having to uninstall old Norton?  Or am I thinking of uninstalling something else?.... sorry for being so vague and useless!

Thanks for your help!!
Clara

28K Posts

January 27th, 2005 21:00

If that's the problem, the fix involves editing the registry.  See the following and look specifically under the heading - "Windows XP Fix: Editing the Registry".

http://www.bl.com/moshe/text/quiddities/norton_errors.html

Steve

16 Posts

January 27th, 2005 22:00

Steve, I followed the steps under 'Windows XP Fix: Edit Registry'.  I didn't have the offending file under the 'Depend On Service' menu.  I had the following: Tcpip  Afd  NetBT

I'll read thru this whole document -- maybe there's something else there that will fix this.  In the meantime, any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Clara

28K Posts

January 28th, 2005 02:00

The problem must be something similar, i.e. the DHCP client service is not starting because something it depends on is either not present or not starting.   What we need to do to find out what is causing the problem is to look in the event viewer.  To do this, go to Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools> Event Viewer.  Then select System in the left hand pane, and look throough events in the right hand pane.  Look for events with the Source = Service Control Manager.  Read through these events and look for something that says: The DHCP Client service depnds on the following nonexistent service: xxxxxx.  If you can find that, report back what the xxxxxx is.

Steve

16 Posts

January 28th, 2005 12:00

Steve, I did what you said.  I didn't find anything like you described...my screen listed these categories:

Type, Date, Time, Source, Category, Event, User, Computer

I didn't see Dhcp listed anywhere, though I found a zillion occurrences for Service Control Manager.

So I did a 'find' on Dhcp and found 30 records (tho the letters Dhcp weren't apparent, I guess it's in the record somewhere?).  All 30 records were recent -- since Dec 13, 2004.  All were the same:

Error, date, time, Service Control Manager, None, 7001, user, computer

Where is this group of records can I find a listing of the dependencies?  Did I miss something obvious?

Thanks,

Clara

28K Posts

January 28th, 2005 13:00

You have to double click on one of the Service Control Manager listings and read the description.  You can then use the arrow in the Event box to scroll up and down through all of the events until you find one that has a description similar to what we are looking for.  There should be at least one of these for every time you turn on the computer and it attempts to get an IP address.

Steve

16 Posts

January 28th, 2005 13:00

Duh.  Ok.  I got this:

The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBT service which failed to start because of the following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Thanks,
Clara

No Events found!