Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2011 02:00

Enabling jumbo frames in Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx on Dell Precision M6500

I am using a Dell Precision 6500 running Windows XP-sp2 to stream data to a FPGA board at a high data rate of 750 Mbps on a direct link.

FPGA ethernet is capable of supporting the required throughput, but the bottleneck is on Laptop side. I am njot able to get more than 450 Mbps throughput.

I thought of enabling the jumbo frames in NIC to increase throughput, but can't find any option to do so in the NIC driver.

Can anyone please tell me how to enable jumbo frames in Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller?

Or is there any other way to increase the throughput.

Thanks,

-Harsh

9.3K Posts

May 12th, 2011 11:00

I know that on servers, the OS native (Microsoft) drivers don't support jumbo frames. If you're using Microsoft drivers, I'd suggest to upgrade the drivers to Dell's Broadcom drivers and see if they'll allow jumbo frames. Otherwise it may just be that the NIC in this laptop doesn't support jumbo frames (not exactly a feature that a laptop would need/use all that often).

3 Posts

May 12th, 2011 11:00

Thanks for the reply.

The very need for high UDP throughput made me use a high end laptop like Dell M6500.

Jumbo frames is one option i would like to try to increase the throughput, but if u have any other way of doing so, please suggest. I hv already tried increasing the socket buffer size and UDP buffer size, but that wont help after 450 mbps.

My desired data rate is around 750 mbps.

Thanks in advance.

No Events found!