Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2012 19:00

Error message: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. Need help

Hi,

Running Windows XP  on my Dell desktop.  Computer is updated at night,(windows update) worked up until I tried to get on to the internet yesterday morning and I got a

message saying,

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", and outlook express does not work, error message 0x800CCCOE....I have tried a few things

that people recommended on another site, like unchecking proxy server in LAN settings.  Tried a ton of stuff that worked for some and not for others,

I am one of those.  When I run a diagnostic connection problems check, I get a message saying:  "Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS,

or FTP" and "This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer", and "Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80) HTTPS prot (443)

and FTP port (21)".........not sure what all that means, and if anyone has any ideas on how to shut of the Windows firewall in Security Center, it won't let me.

In one are it shows the Firewall is on, and in another says it's off.  Also, I;m not running much security other then Nortons.

Have been working on this for hrs :)  I'm a 101 on computers so be detailed :)

Thanks a lot

Bill

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

March 16th, 2012 19:00

Last diagnostics came up with this highlighted in red

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

and a error message saying "could not make an HTTPS connection

Any ideas on how to make one

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 16th, 2012 22:00

Bill,

Try making an ipconfig /all log and post it back here. It may reveal something.

Wired or wireless?

What type of security are you using in your wireless router? What channel?

Rick

April 5th, 2012 12:00

On the page which is displaying an error message, click the 'Diagnose Connection Problem' link. The network diagnostics tool will run.

When this tool finish running, it will tell you the next steps to troubleshoot your problems.

June 16th, 2019 20:00

In my case, it was IE6 installed and not a later version, that was causing this issue. Installing IE7 fixed it.

Inspiron 6000, Windows XP restored from the restore partition, SP3 installed, but IE6 was still there and wouldn't work: "page could not be displayed" including on Windows Update site, with the same symptoms and diagnostic messages as described by the OP. Chrome 48 (last version supported on XP) - worked fine.

Downloaded and installed IE7 - the problem went away, and I was able to run Windows updates, including updating to IE8.

No Events found!