Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 16th, 2008 00:00

Ethernet Controller Driver

Hello,

I recently reformatted my desktop computer and am having trouble finding my missing ethernet controller driver required for my wireless internet card to work.  my computer did not come with an operating system cd and i have already followed the instructions on the dell technical support page to download the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, but to no avail as it does not seem to be recognized. what would be the correct network-driver for me to download? i have also already downloaded the correct chipset drivers for my operating system:

Microsoft Windows XP

Media Center Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 3  

76487-OEM-0011903-00825

6.4K Posts

June 16th, 2008 01:00

If you are using the integrated NIC, the driver specified is here:  Intel Pro/100 VE.

You should also be aware that the recommended order of driver installation for the Dimension 1100 is 1) Dell Desktop System Software (found in System Utilities), 2) Chipset Driver, 3) Video Driver, 4) Network Interface Adapter Driver, 5) Sound Driver, followed by any remaining drivers in the order you choose.  You can find the Dell recommended drivers here.

5 Posts

thank you for your quick response. i didnt realize that the order in which you install drivers is important until after. my dad helped me reformat and my only missing driver at the moment is the ethernet controller. i already downloaded the driver you recommended to me, however it has not helped to remove the yellow question mark symbol beside ethernet controller in my device manager. does this mean i would need to reformat my computer once again (with the driver installation in the proper order) just to fix this problem?

5 Posts

microsoft windows XP

media center edition

version 2002

service pack 3  

DIMENSION 1100

76487-OEM-0011903-00825

6.4K Posts

You do not necessarily need to start over.  Examine your Device Manager list to see if you can find the Intel Pro/100 VE nic listed.  If so, you can simply remove the device having the error marking.  If the device with the error indication is still the only network device you find, removing it and restarting Windows will force Windows to redetect it and hopefully load the appropriate driver now that you have installed it.

If the network device error comes back after restart, try using the "Update Driver" function in the properties of the network adapter and point it to the directory having the driver in it.  You should find this in C:\Dell\Drivers\R105786.

Message Edited by JackShack on 06-15-2008 09:58 PM

6.4K Posts

Very sorry you're having trouble, but as you have left out an essential piece of information, it is nearly impossible to advise you.  What model computer are you trying to fix?

5 Posts

June 16th, 2008 02:00

when i carry out the update driver step i.e. type the path where the file is located, it says the file e100b325.sys on Intel PRO Network Connections CD-ROM or floppy disk is needed, which i do not have. e100b325.sys is a file in the R105786 folder.

6.4K Posts

For the sake of simplicity, I suggest you use the "Device Usage" directive in the properties of the problem network controller and set it to "Do Not Use This Device - Disable".  Is it possible that you actually do have two network devices installed in your computer?  One would need to be on a PCI expansion card.

Once you have disabled the device having the error, connect to your router and see if the network interface is now functional.  If so, I would ignore the problem device unless you find that it is actually a second network adapter that you require for some purpose.

5 Posts

i was able to find the INtel Pro/100 VE listed under my device manager list. i right clicked on the device with the error to un-install it and after restart, the network device error did c ome back. so, i used the update function in the properties of the network adaptor to R105786  like you suggested, however the hardware update wizard said: the wizard cannot find a better match for your hardware than the software you have currently installed.

what do you suggest i do now? :S  

No Events found!