Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2010 10:00

Ethernet Controller, missing drivers Windows 7

Hej

I have recently acquired a Dell Dimension 8100, and installed Windows 7 on it.

The Ethernet Controller in Device Manager is flaged (/!\) not allowing me to use the internet.

I need a driver for it thats compatible with the onborad controller and Windows 7

THX

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 13th, 2010 12:00

SupaFly101,

Did you try using the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode?

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first(if applicable), then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

9 Posts

June 13th, 2010 12:00

Im sorry i did not understand what u ment by "Did you try using the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode?"

What Drivers file should i do this on ? I have no Restore CD or any kind of drivers right now, even the sound drivers are absent :(

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 13th, 2010 15:00

SupaFly101,

Download and install in the ME Compatibility mode

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to ME. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

Dell System Utilities and Intel 800 Series Integrated Chipset

After you restart, try running Finding System Information

At the bottom, you'll see which network adapters you have. Are they listed in the device manager?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

SupaFly101,

You said...

I have recently acquired a Dell Dimension 8100, and installed Windows 7 on it.

On upgraded systems, you need to install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. Some systems do NOT have Windows 7 drivers. Installing the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

Rixk

9 Posts

On upgraded systems, you need to install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. Some systems do NOT have Windows 7 drivers. Installing the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

THX  for replying..

I did a clean instalation not an upgrade, and i dont see how i can install the Vista drivers in compatibility mode or where from i download the drivers or the chipset drivers :(

Im sorry, but i need links and in-detail explenations or i wont go far :((

THX again

9 Posts

June 13th, 2010 16:00

After you restart, try running Finding System Information

At the bottom, you'll see which network adapters you have. Are they listed in the device manager?

Ok now i understood what u ment by runing it in compa. mode :))

And i did both the Utility installing 16 files or so, and the Intel 800 thing installing 64 files or so.

After restart i did the "systeminfo.cmd"

And it showed the following "Network Card(s):     N/A :(

In Device Manager under "Other devices" the following r listed:

/!\ Ethernet Controller

/!\ Multimedia Audio Controller

/!\ PCI Input Device

(?) Unsuported Device

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 13th, 2010 17:00

SupaFly101,

Try installing EVEREST Home Edition

Click on computer, summary.

There it should hopefully tell you what network devices you have. It's a shame you're not online as you can right click, then left click update drivers on anything that in blue.

You didn't happen to install the ethernet card yourself. I know I did on an older computer and had to get out the installation disk to install it on my computer after a clean installation.

Rick

9 Posts

June 13th, 2010 17:00

Try installing EVEREST Home Edition

There it should hopefully tell you what network devices you have. It's a shame you're not online as you can right click, then left click update drivers on anything that in blue.

You didn't happen to install the ethernet card yourself. I know I did on an older computer and had to get out the installation disk to install it on my computer after a clean installation.

Got EVEREST.

PCI/PnP Network is: 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller.

And no i didnt install it myself :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 13th, 2010 18:00

SupaFly101

Try THIS DRIVER in the ME compability mode.

Search Results for "3Com 3C920"

Rick

9 Posts

June 13th, 2010 18:00

Try THIS DRIVER in the ME compability mode.

That did it now i have connected THX a lot :D

Now i need the video drivers and audio ones tho

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 13th, 2010 19:00

SupaFly101,

Any clue what audio and video drivers you need from Everest?

Rick

9 Posts

June 13th, 2010 20:00

Just thinking, since you can connect, try Windows updates and/or try updating the drivers in the device manager and allow the computer to go online and look for the drivers. Another possible thing to try is delete the yellow exclaimination marks and red x's in device manager and see if Windows can fine the drivers after you restart your computer.

None of the above drivers worked, i have tryed ur suggestions, on the card it said the latest drivers were installed already, i even went to nVidia and it found the Standard VGA card with the latest updates already applyed..

The sound is SoundBlaster live! from creative... i remember seeing that b4 i reinstalled Windows 7.

...oh and back on the updates cuz im online now.. it will not find the audio drivers on its own or any other flaged stuff...

I even diasbled/uninstalled them, hopeing it will try to install it from the net when i restart but no luck..

9 Posts

Any clue what audio and video drivers you need from Everest?

Em..

Audio: Multimedia Audio Controller [NoDB]

Video: it just saids Standard VGA Graphics Adapter but i know theres an nVidia 64MB 256 AGP one inside or simuler to that..

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

SupaFly101,

Search Results for "nVidia 64MB 256 AGP"

Results not very good for Search Results for "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"

Search Results for "Audio: Multimedia Audio Controller"

Just thinking, since you can connect, try Windows updates and/or try updating the drivers in the device manager and allow the computer to go online and look for the drivers. Another possible thing to try is delete the yellow exclaimination marks and red x's in device manager and see if Windows can fine the drivers after you restart your computer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 13th, 2010 21:00

SupaFly101,

While I was waiting, I found THIS THREAD. It may or may not help.

Try,,,

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 512V and maybe Creative Labs Sound Blaster 64 PCI

Video

Download and install the ATI 32MB Radeon drivers first, they're ME Drivers.

Try going to nVidia's Website for the Video drivers first. If that doesn't work, then try each below

ATI 32MB Radeon

Dazzle Inc. Movie Studio II HW

nVidia 32MB GeForce2 GTS

nVidia 64MB GeForce2 GTS

nVidia 32MB GeForce2 MX

nVidia 64MB DDR GeForce3

nVidia 64MB GeForce2 GTS Ultra

nVidia 32MB GeForce2 MX W/TVOUT

nVidia 64MB GeForce2 GTS Ultra

nVidia 32MB GeForce2 MX

Rick

No Events found!