Shamboo
1 Copper

Ethernet does not work when connected to docking station (E-port)

I just bought a Dell E7450 and having issues with Ethernet connection. When I connect Ethernet cable to laptop without docking station it works fine. But when it is connected through Docking station it does not recognize the connection. I have tried swapping the docking station and re-installing the driver without success.

0 Kudos
13 Replies

RE: Ethernet does not work when connected to docking station (E-port)

Hi,

Are the other ports on the E-port working correctly when the system is docked?  My first thought is to try to update the BIOS in that system.  Here is a link to the latest BIOS, version A04, for the E7450.  

My second thought is to check the settings on the driver for the Intel network cards in the system. (Are you using an Intel Wireless card?)  The E7450 comes with an Intel Gigabit Ethernet Controller.  I wonder if the system isn't turning that integrated NIC off when it's docked, causing a conflict?  

Have you tried other systems with that dock?  Or that system on another E-Port?  Is this something that just occurred or is it something that has been happening since the very first time you tried the E-port?

Try the BIOS update and see if that helps.  If not, I'll see what else I can find that might help.

Todd

0 Kudos
CGNbyn8
1 Copper

Hey there.

We are experiencing absolutly the same issue with 7440 & 7450 series.

Even tried 4 different docks and checked that the docks do have the appropriate powersupply.

I switched off the "efficincy - power mode" in the NIC settings like recommended on other boards.

Now the really odd thing is: you can boot into OS while machine is in dock and it works ok. But if you disconnect and reconnect to dockingstation, the NIC goes down mentioning "no cable plugged in". NIC will not come up again until I disconnect the machine from the dock and plug in cable directly into the NIC of the machine. When cable is in NIC directly and the machine gets reconnected to the dock, NIC fails again.

As mentioned before, this happens with different docks, cables, switchports etc. and the BIOS is the latest.

Any suggestion would be highly apprichiated.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards.

0 Kudos
HomerAV
1 Copper

We are experiencing the same issue here. 3 laptops with no Ethernet connection when docked. Work fine when out of the dock. Tried other docks and same problem

Got 2 fixed already by replacing the motherboard, but can't keep doing this.

Tried all the usual things. Updating BIOS, drivers and hub firmware, but they all make no difference.

Any ideas what is causing this? Compatibility issues with dock maybe?

Regards

0 Kudos
Cast0r
1 Copper

E7450 here, worked for a weeks fine, now whatever we do there is no ethernet. Works fine without the dock. Simply lost connectivity. Latest BIOS (A08) installed

Please help

0 Kudos
GF321
1 Copper

Does anyone have an update or solution for this? I'm seeing the same thing on a Latitude E5450. Windows 10. Wired Ethernet worked fine before today. Now it doesn't work in the dock, only when the network cable is directly plugged into the laptop. Tried 2 different docks.

0 Kudos
JDupuy
1 Copper

Similar problems here.  Using a Precision M4800.  I tend to use sleep mode before un-docking the computer.  When I dock it again in the morning it does not connect to the wired connection.  I simply disconnect the ethernet and plug it back in and it picks up just fine though.  It's definitely a pain but managable.

0 Kudos
atin90
1 Nickel

Here is the solution for constant disconnect, Video blanking, and few other problems using Dock Station:

:

Go to the properties of the WIFI, "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections", Right click on the WI-FI adapter, Properties,  Configure,  advanced, Power output. Change it from 100% to 75%. If you wish to use external monitor attached to the docking station, you will have to change it to 50%. The only problem now with the 50% is that the WIFI will no longer switch off automatically. Closing the lid also affects this, so you may have to play with this setting.

May sound like a strange solution but it worked for few people.

Palo B

0 Kudos
JimboLodisC
1 Copper

Just leaving this here for anyone just now dealing with this, was able to find this website with the answer.

Basically you need to turn off "Energy Efficient Ethernet" for the NIC. Open up Device Manager, expand the Network Adapters section and open up the Properties for your NIC. In the Advanced tab, there should be an option to disable the Energy Efficient Ethernet option.

johanpol
1 Nickel

is this still the only solution? (to disable the Energy Efficient Ethernet option)

0 Kudos