Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2006 15:00

Ghost boot disk with Intel Pro/1000MT

I am trying to ghost several servers ( PowerEdge 2850, 1850) with Intel Pro/1000 MT cards.  I am using Norton Ghost 7.5.  I made the boot disk using the wizard and selected the driver "Intel Pro 1000".  The driver on the boot disk is E1000.dos.  I continue to get "Error: unable to locate the PCI Lan Adapter", followed by "Failure: Driver did not load, NDIS2 environment invalid."  These machines did have Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit cards as well.  I removed the Broadcom cards, and have disabled one of the two Intel Pro/1000MT in the BIOS.  I have disabled NIC 1, then NIC 2, just to make sure I have the right one disabled.  I have looked around on this forum and really did not see the solution.  Most of the responses talked about getting the correct driver, but it seemed the common answer was that the E1000.dos is the correct driver.  Can anyone help me out on this problem? I have spent several hours the past two weekends at work trying to figure this out.  I cannot take the servers down during normal working hours as the systems are critical to our operation.

Thanks much in advance!  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Dan

August 22nd, 2006 15:00

I'm having issues to but of a different kind.  You can't use the 1000 drivers from Ghost.  You need to download them from Intel's site and replace on your boot disk.  As of yet, I have not been able to get it to work with a 2850.  2650s and down I never had an issue.  It just will not connect to the network.

8 Posts

August 23rd, 2006 12:00

Thanks for the input.  Actually I finally found the answer and this works. 

If you download the PRODOS files from the Intel site, the “RelNotes” state the following:

“Note: A special archive named PRODOS2.EXE is available that addresses specific needs of users requiring DOS NDIS 2 drivers for use with over-the-network imaging software such as Norton Ghost*, or with legacy DOS clients such as Microsoft LAN Manager.”

I downloaded the PRODOS2.EXE and in the “GHOST” folder, the “readme” it states:

“Use GHOST.EXE with the -FNI switch when using LAN on Motherboard implementations of Intel Network Interfaces, or if you are experiencing system hangs when the driver loads. This can be added as a parameter through the Ghost Boot Wizard, or by a manual edit of the AUTOEXEC.BAT file after the diskette is created.”

The “readme” also states:

“Replace the adapter driver that Ghost copied to the \NET directory on the  diskette with the updated driver supplied in this archive. For 10/100 adapters,  use E100B.DOS. For Gigabit adapters, use E1000.DOS.”

I actually replaced the driver in the GHOST Boot Wizard by selecting modify when you get to the driver.  Then, after I created the Ghost Boot Disk, I went into the AUTOEXE.BAT file and edited the switch following the GHOST.EXE to read –fni.

After these changes, Ghost worked fine on both the 1850 and the 2850.

Dan

No Events found!