Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2012 19:00

How can I find out which firewalls are installed and turned on, on my Windows XP Home SP3 computer?

I am having issues with some programs connecting to the Internet.  IE8 connects and lets me brows the web, but other programs like google chrome, adobe reader, realplayer and so on indecate that I do not have Internet connection.  I tried turning off Windows Firewall, still no luck, I removed and then added these programs to the approved programs list. and still no luck.  I removed McAfee and its firewall, still no luck.  When viewing Windows Security Center tab on Firewall info it says At least one of the installed firewalls is currently on.  I dont know of any other firewalls on the computer,

How can I find out what other firewall programs are running? 

20.5K Posts

January 30th, 2012 04:00

I removed McAfee and its firewall, still no luck. 
If you completely removed McAfee, most likely your Windows Firewall will be enabled again automatically.

If you would like to run a limited scan so we can see exactly what firewall is running, please download Security Check by screen317 and save it to your Desktop: here or here

• Run Security Check
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the command window.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; close Notepad. We will need this log, so remember where you've saved it! Please post the log in your reply below.

If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 29th, 2012 23:00

bradwyle,

See if this works for McAfee.

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

4 Posts

January 30th, 2012 07:00

Here is the info from the log you requested.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.30 
 Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86  
 Internet Explorer 8 
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:
 Windows Firewall Enabled! 
 Microsoft Security Essentials   
```````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check: 
 Adobe Reader 9 Adobe Reader out of date!
````````````````````````````````
Process Check: 
objlist.exe by Laurent 
 Windows Defender MSMpEng.exe
 Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe
 Microsoft Security Client Antimalware MsMpEng.exe 
``````````End of Log````````````

20.5K Posts

January 30th, 2012 08:00

According to that info, your Windows Firewall is running as well as your Microsoft anti-virus.

Your question was asking how to tell which firewall is running. If you feel that has been answered by the info provided by the log above, please click the green Yes button under the my post recommending Screen's Security Check.

As far as your wireless, etc. I would suggest letting Rick continue troubleshooting your network connection problems.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, it may be that you still have some remnants of McAfee in there blocking connections for several programs. Considering that you are running Windows XP it might be advisable to post on a forum where a helper can walk you through running more comprehensive diagnostics, doing a good cleaning to remove remnants of old programs, updating Adobe, and helping you with any firewall configurations. You can post in the Malware Removal Forum at SpywareHammer and have the staff trained in malware removal walk you through the diagnostic logs and a cleanup. Help is free, but you will need to register there. In addition, there are other options listed at the top of the this forum. Some are free; some require a fee. Please use only one resource. It can be counter-productive to have too many people trying to help at the same time. Good luck! :emotion-1:

4 Posts

January 30th, 2012 08:00

The Adobe reader out of date, this is one of the programs that say it can not connect to the internet or it server to get the update files.

Other info, my home hetwork has a wireless Dell printer installed on it.  I have just tried to install the printer on this computer, and it is unable to find the printer on the wireless network.

I am also finding that I can now only access some of the computers and their shaired folder on the home network.  What is going on with this computer?

No Events found!