Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 2nd, 2006 13:00

IE Being Redirected to Dell/Google Search Page

When my wife first got her E1705 this problem occurred and we called Dell and got it fixed. Like an idiot, I didn't write downwhat we did, and can't remember the fix. Yesterday, I installed Spy Sweeper on her PC and the problem has returned and it it definitely related to intalling SS. If I cancel SS, the problem stops.

The problem is so bad, that no matter where she surfs, she is redirected to this one page.

While reading other threads on this forum I found a link to a page here: http://naut.homestead.com/files/locked/locked.html#Locked . The recommendation, among others is to uncheck all Shields, which seems to me to reduce the effectiveness of SS.

I run Firefox on my pc and have never had this problem, but my wife insists on IE, so that's not an option.

Any ideas on how to fix this. Her E1705 is running XP and has MS Office on it. She's pretty conservative on where she surfs, I don't think she's gone to flakey sites, and this problem did exist on the PC practicly out of the box.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

September 2nd, 2006 16:00

jangell :

The "uncheck all shields" instruction at that link was meant to be temporary, to allow you to change your homepage.

I don't use Spy Sweeper,  but my understanding is that all you need to uncheck is the "home page shield" and
"automatically restore default without notification". Close SS, open IE, and reset your homepage to whatever you like. Close IE, re-open Spy Sweeper, and re-check all shields. You should now have your homepage of choice.

You will probably also want to delete the preloaded Dell redirector  software according to the directions here:
http://naut.homestead.com/files/locked/locked.html#Pre-set
Use "METHOD #2: Delete Certain Pre-loaded Programs"

55 Posts

September 2nd, 2006 17:00

I found this in another thread:
"Easy Solution:
I found the redirection problem can be traced back to GoogleAE.dll. You can use Add/Remove Programs in the control panel and remove "URL Assistant"

Why Dell put this hijacking program on their own machines is the real question."

I tried it out and it does work, at least so far.
No Events found!