Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2008 00:00

Inspiron 1520 connection issues

I am having some wierd connection problems. I can usually find the problem but this one has me stumped. I have the Intel PRO wireless 3945ABG card and running XP. I am having trouble connecting to wireless networks(secure or unsecure). I can connect to the wireless network but when I try to enter internet explorer I get the "INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY THE WEBPAGE" page. The packets sent and received in the wireless network connection status are always below 500. I can connect to the same wireless networks with other computers. Any help will be much appreciated.

28K Posts

April 27th, 2008 18:00

As a troubleshooting step, boot to Safe Mode with Network Support and see if it works that way.  Let us know the results.

Steve

4 Posts

April 27th, 2008 21:00

It worked in safe mode. What is the next step?

28K Posts

April 27th, 2008 21:00

It says that something running from Startup in Normal mode is blocking the connections.   Start by disabling any third party firewall that may be running and see if that corrects the problem.  If it does, you know there is a problem with the configuration of the firewall.   If that doesn't lead you to a solution, go to Start > Run and type msconfig then hit the Enter key.  Click on the startup tab and start eliminating programs that run from startup, one at a time, by unchecking the box next to the program.  Reboot after each step and check to see if you have found the problem.

Steve

28K Posts

April 27th, 2008 23:00

In msconfig, click on the Services tab and see if the ipsec service is running.  If it is, disable, restart the computer and see if that fixes the problem.  You can also look in the Start > All Programs > Startup folder and see if there is anything running from there that you can disable to test this.

Steve

4 Posts

April 27th, 2008 23:00

I disabled all the startup programs and still no luck. I turned off the firewall and it still wouldnt connect. Do you know of any other tests I could try?

4 Posts

April 28th, 2008 00:00

I disabled the ipsec and the 1 program listed in the start bar and still the same problem. Any other ideas?

28K Posts

April 28th, 2008 01:00

You must have some kind of spyware or malware running from the registry.  Have you checked your system for such parasites using at least two different antispyware programs?

Steve

No Events found!