Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2015 10:00

Intel wireless N 7260 Problems

I have a dell Inspiron 15R 5537 with the Intel wireless N 7260.  This wireless card has been nothing but trouble.  I had it stable until I upgraded to windows 10.  Now it constantly disconnects to a point were it is almost unusable. I have done a lot of searching and have yet to find a workable solution.  I just downloaded Intel's latest drivers 18.20 hoping that would help, but it has not.  Writing this post I been disconnected several times and took 30 minutes to post.

Has anyone been able to find a solution that has worked?

Thanks,

John

1.8K Posts

November 1st, 2015 12:00

Hi,

I'm sorry for the problems you've had with that card.  What sort of troubleshooting steps, other than changing the driver, have you tried?   Have you tried removing all the wireless profiles in case there is a conflict or configuration issue?  

Are you seeing any connection strength issues before the card disconnects, or anything that could point to a cause?

You may also want to try these steps and see if they help:

Method 1:
Run network adapter troubleshooter and check. Please follow these steps:

a. Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.
b. Click troubleshooting in the search results.
c. Click "View all" and then click "Network Adapter".
d. Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

If it does not help, use method 2.

Method 2:
Reset TCP/IP and check.
Refer this article:
How to reset TCP/IP by using the NetShell utility
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357
(Also holds good for Windows 10)

Note: Please refer "Let me fix it myself" section in the above article.

Also see:
Why can't I connect to the Internet?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cant-connect-internet#1TC=windows-8
(Also holds good for Windows 10)

Let us know if any of the above steps help and, if not, we'll see what else we can suggest to help.

Todd

18 Posts

November 1st, 2015 13:00

You may have tried this but check your power settings for the network card and Bluetooth.  Remove the check in the box for "allow this program to shut down the computer to save power".  Also, set your computer for maximum performance in the power settings of the control panel.  This helped my 15R-5537.

5 Posts

November 1st, 2015 13:00

Yes, I have tried removing all wireless profiles.  I tried what you suggested and that has not help.  Other troubleshooting that I have done is removing the drivers and rebooting prior to installing new drivers. I have tried modifying advance properties.  That also did now work.  I have ensured that I put everything back.  I have tried the drivers that Intel has on their web site anywhere from version 17.0.6, 18.11.0, 18.12.1, 18.20.  I have also updated the BIOS from your download page from A07 to A08 and then ran the network driver from from websites (18.11).

When on Window 8.1, I had the problem but running version 17.0.6 fixed it.  Unfortunately nothing has worked with windows 10.  It goes from full strength to no connection.  Sometimes it automatically connects but sometimes I have to turn the wireless off and then back on.  I have also run Inssider to verify that no other wireless network is interfering with my network.  None of the other computers or mobile devices are having issues.  Just my computer using the Intel Wireless-N 7260 card.

If you search the web you will see numerous issues with this wireless network card.  What versions of the driver works.  The one on your download page (Network_Driver_PG3XR_WN32_18.11.0.8_A00.EXE) still does not work.  Does Dell have a replacement wireless card that works?

1.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2015 10:00

One other thing.   Do you see any improvement in connectivity if you disable Bluetooth on the card / system?

1.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2015 10:00

Hi John,

I know the 15R 5537 had the option to use the Dell DW1705 card but any of the half-height mini cards would technically work in the system.  But without knowing what the root cause is it's hard to say which would work well for you.

Do you use that system on various networks or just the home network?  I ask because I'm trying to find out if this issue follows connections to other networks.   

And, did you try to update the firmware on your home router that you're connecting to?  What make & model of router are you using?  Wireless networking really does need both ends of the connection to be up to date, especially with new protocols / drivers coming out for Win10.

Todd

5 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 15:00

I only use this computer on my home network.  My Router is a Cisco (now LinkSys) E4200 running the latest firmware.  Like I mentioned before, I am not having issues with other computers running Windows 7, new 2015 model Smart TV, iPad Air 2, or iPhone 5s.

I have not tried disabling the Bluetooth.  I am not currently connecting to any devices.  I will also look at the power savings mentioned by MBeam.

18 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 16:00

Just an update.  In addition to what I posted earlier I had changed my modem/router from a single band to a dual band model, both from Comcast.  While my 15R-5537 doesn't have 5GHz it seems the new modem/router had a stronger signal.  I'm still having slow connections  but the loss of network connection has been reduced and I haven't had a total loss since.  I do get some "scan to computer has been lost, network connection has been lost" notices now and then for a few seconds.  At first, I thought it might be the antenna but then I read about the dismal history of the 7260-N card and it's constant poor and loss of connection issues.

This laptop is still under warranty and I have been working with Dell Support since mid-September to correct the problem.  I had a tech come to my house and sent the laptop to Texas once.  The network card has been changed twice with the same 7260-N model, so no improvement.  Dell Support tells me there is no other network card tht will work in my laptop.  So, I have told Del to fix my laptop under warranty and give me one that works the way it should or replace it with a new upgraded laptop that doesn't use the 7260-N network card.  

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it appears that the use of the 7260 network card results in a defective computer and it is Dell's responsibility to make it right, one way or the other. 

5 Posts

November 4th, 2015 02:00

I tried the power savings mentioned by MBeam first and still had some dropouts.  I then tried disabling the Bluetooth.  Again I still have dropouts.  

I don't think either has helped me.  Upgrading the BIOS and then using the drivers that Dell has posted helped the most.  I do believe there is an problem with the Intel 7260 that Dell needs to resolve.  I haven't had connection problems like this withe the 10 other various Dell laptops that I have purchased.

1.8K Posts

November 4th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Unfortunately we're limited by the driver's we're provided by Intel for the card.   I spent a bit of time on the Intel support forums trying to find any other steps we could try but I didn't find anything that hasn't really been tried already.  

If the card isn't working well in Windows 10 then you may want to consider rolling back to Windows 8.1 until a new series of drivers are released that do work consistently.  I hate to say that but there are always issues with a new OS upon release and sometimes it takes a while to resolve those via trial and error.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Todd

18 Posts

November 5th, 2015 20:00

I just tried fix #1 in this video.  It has made my 15R-5537 significantly faster.  It involved a simple reset in the command prompt (admin).

Give it a shot.  It's only been an hour or so but it is faster.

18 Posts

November 6th, 2015 08:00

Step #1 has worked for me and my 15R5537 is faster.  Please review step #3 above and comment on it.  I don't know computers that well so I don't want to do anything that might hurt my laptop.

5 Posts

November 8th, 2015 13:00

Thanks for the information. I did method #1 and it made things worst.  I believe that I tried this at some point prior to reaching out to dell.  I then attempted method #3 and things were no better.  I was getting constant disconnects.  I uninstalled and installed the dell provided drivers and then disabled bluetooth.  I am now where I was before.  Several disconnects but not were it was unconnected more than connected.  I which Dell and Intel would take responsibility for this issue.

18 Posts

November 8th, 2015 19:00

I've been working with Del Support on this.  On Oct 10, 2015, they asked mr to download and install this driver.  It's new and may help.  Here is the driver.

Kindly try this link and download the first driver name Wireless_18.20.0_ De164.exe and let's observe within 24 hours. Thank you and have a good day.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25276/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1-

Give it a shot - maybe

18 Posts

November 8th, 2015 20:00

I have been working with Dell Support on this.  On Oct 10, 2015, they asked me to install a driver from Intel.  Here is the driver.

Kindly try this link and download the first driver name Wireless_18.20.0_ De164.exe and let's observe within 24 hours. Thank you and have a good day.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25276/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1-

Give it a try.  Good luck.

August 11th, 2016 20:00

Intel wireless N 7260 Windows 10 Driver problem FIXED. 

After trying every fix I could find on the internet, I researched what other cards would fit that had good Windows 10 drivers.  For $20 I ordered and installed:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 2x2 Network plus Bluetooth adapter (7260.HMWWB.R)  

It was easy to install, and I was able to connect immediately after installing the driver and re-entering the password.  This is the first time I have been further than 10 feet from my wireless router since installing Windows 10!!!   ...and it is no longer repeatedly losing connection!

This has simply been failure to support the originally installed card with an adequate Windows 10 driver.  

No Events found!