Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2014 17:00

Is this possible using internal WIFI?

I have Inspiron One 2020 Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) adapted installed.   I have no way of finding out the SSID & password.   The reason the wifi is built in.    I also don't have the software called Dell wireless wlan card utility.    Any way to find out the SSID?  I want to hook up a printer only to the wireless adapter.    The printer is wifi.   It is an EPSON 310,     Thank you for your help in advance.

1 Attachment

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 4th, 2014 19:00

Wireless adapters don't have SSIDs.  You can try to connect your printer to your computer by setting up an "ad hoc" wireless network, but otherwise you will need a wireless router.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 5th, 2014 06:00

It is wireless capable, as in you can connect to a wireless network and you don't need an Ethernet cable. To print to s wireless printer, they will both need to be connected to the same wireless network (Comcast SSID).

32 Posts

March 5th, 2014 06:00

Why did the description of the computer say it is wifi capable?    The EPSON printer is wifi but does not broadcast,  so windows 7 cannot see it.    However,  Comcast wireless router/modem does broadcast the info & windows 7 can see it.    I can use it through Comcast wireless gateway but I was trying to avoid that.  I need that tool I mentioned in my previous post for some reason that didn't come with my computer.  I don't know how to do an ad hoc network.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 5th, 2014 15:00

gproze,

Is the printer on your network from before? If yes, if you have the printer setup as wireless, the desktop would be plugged in to the wireless router or using a wireless adapter, it will be able to print to the wireless printer with no problem.

Rick

No Events found!