Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2009 20:00

Java is messed up.

Something messed up my java. I went to play on Pogo & it said I needed to install Java. When I ran the test they had to check Java it said it was installed & working. However, I can't even access it through my control panel. When I click on it there is a message saying THE SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE REGISTRY KEY SPECIFIED: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\JavaRuntime Environment\1.6.0.11. I don't know how to uninstall Java & reinstall it or even if that's the problem because when I look at my programs it appears Java is installed. Can someone help me?

ladyblue777

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2009 10:00

ladyblue777,

Go to control panel, add/remove programs(programs and features and remove all versions of Java you have. Restart your computer.

Get the latest Java here.

What browser are you using? Any add-ons? If using Mozilla Firefox and NoScript, you have to tell it to allow, pogo.com

Pogo uses Flash Player, test your flash player here.

Rick

67 Posts

February 21st, 2009 11:00

Hi... I was following your insturctions and it was going along great until I got to Java 6 update 12. Then a message came up that said ...The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click ok to try again, or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package 'jre 1.6.0_12-c.msi' in the box below. The source that was already in the box said USC Source C:\Documents & Settings\Primary User\Application. I removed all the other Java stuff & restarted my computer but can't get this one off. I'm using Internet Explorer browser. I recently had the add-ons updated by the Comcast technician when he was here after my modem died. I didn't try to install the new Java version yet that  you sent the link for or check the Flashplayer yet. I was still trying to remove it all. Thanks so much for your help, it's very much appreciated and for the quick response. What do I do now?

ladyblue777

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Ladyblue777,

Try reading these Java error messages. There should be something there that matches your problem.

Rick

67 Posts

Oh I forgot, I tried again and this is the message I got. The path 'C:\Document and Settings\Primary User\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre 1.6.0_12\jre 1.6.0_12-c.mis'cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package."jre1.6.0_12-c.msi in a folder from which you can install the product Java(TM)6 upddate 12. I thought of searching for it????

67 Posts

February 22nd, 2009 06:00

Rick,

I read the Java error messages prior to sending this information. It has nothing to do with my printer. All I need to know is how to remove jre 1.6.0_12-C. mis  when it won't uninstall in the control panel (add/remove) programs. Once I can remove it, I can then re-install Java and my flash player appears to be working fine. Thanks for your help.

ladyblue777

67 Posts

February 22nd, 2009 08:00

I forgot here is the info on my operating system, sorry.

System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Dell Dimension DVO51....Intel (R)....Pentium (R) 4CPU...2.80GHz...279 GHz,.099 GB of RAM

Physical Address Extension

Ladyblue777

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2009 09:00

Ladyblue777,

Looks rather easy to remove.

How do I uninstall Java on my Windows computer?

Rick

67 Posts

February 22nd, 2009 10:00

It may look rather easy to remove but it didn't work! I installed the Windows Cleanup & removed it and it doesn't appear in my programs now BUT I still get the same error when I click on Java in my control panel. The problem isn't fixed and I still can't access Java or reinstall it until I can get rid of that error? Thanks.

Sher

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2009 11:00

Sher,

In order to help correct the problem, we need the exact error message. What operating system do you have? If Vista, 32-bit or 64-bit? (start, control panel, system and it will state there what you have.)

Rick

67 Posts

February 22nd, 2009 12:00

Rick,

I already sent you the info on my operating system if you scroll up. Do you need more info?

Sher

67 Posts

February 22nd, 2009 12:00

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2009 16:00

Sher,

I would almost say something is wrong with your computer. I would consider a system Repair but before we do this, I recommend that you make copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose. This should be a normal practice, anyway.

Insert the Operating system disk and restart your computer.(If you do NOT have one, request one from below my post)

Press any key to boot from CD

Choose install

Do the agreement

Now choose repair. Leave the disk in until you see the Welcome screen. Takes about 30 minutes on a Dell, longer on other brand computers.

Make sure to get all the Windows Updates, again and the latest Java, everything should install.

Rick

67 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 05:00

Rick,

Are you familiar with Hijack this or some worm program I used once before that was recommended by this forum? It seemed to clear up my problem before, do you think maybe those would help? Or what if I set my computer to default settings? Just some ideas. I'm sure know much more about computers than I do, but I've tried to fix it for days now and I'm ready to scream! I do appreciate your help though and your quick responses. Thanks.

Sher

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2009 11:00

Sher,

Read the instructions here and then make a post.

Rick

67 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 12:00

Rick,

Do you think it could be a malware problem or would I just be better to follow your previous advice? Asking your opinion?

Thanks, Sher

No Events found!