Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: KM717 bluetooth keyboard won't go into pairing mode

Hi everyone,

So I contacted Dell via Facebook and told them the issue. After a few tries updating firmware and stuff, they agreed to sent the replacement. However they one had the same issues, also from the same batch (Jan/2020). They replaced it again yesterday with a keyboard from the batch of Jan/2019 an this one is working fine till now. 

Fingers crossed.

By the way, Dell support was very friendly on this matter. Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have a similar problem with my WK717 (the keyboard part of the KM717 combo - I don't use the mouse).

Paired fine with universal receiver; pairs fine on Bluetooth on channel 2; Bluetooth channel 3 it won't go into pairing.

Pressing or holding the pairing button with 3 selected gives no light response.

Powering on in channel 1/2, the light by the power switch comes on for around 10s; power on in channel 3, the light blips on for a fraction of a second.

I've had this keyboard about 18 months 😞 Should I bin it off as a lesson learned?

Can't find anything to try to factory reset it & see how it goes... any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have had quite a lot of to/fro in private messaging with Dell's community support about my KM/WK717 problem, but unfortunately it has been focused on the device I am trying to connect, rather than the keyboard itself. My latest message to Dell:

Hi

Many thanks for your attention to my problem with my KM/WK717 keyboard.

However I feel you are missing the core of the problem.

These things are not a problem:

• Channel 1 (USB receiver channel) works without issue.
  • Channel 2 (Bluetooth) works without issue.

This thing is a problem:

• Channel 3 (Bluetooth) will not go into pairing mode on the KEYBOARD; this is not a problem with the Bluetooth configuration on any of my 3 computers & 2 Android devices I have at my disposal; it is the keyboard itself that will not go into pairing mode on channel 3.

Can you explain why changes to my device Bluetooth configurations will cause the keyboard channel 3 to start working properly?

I am expecting solutions based around the keyboard's channel 3, not my devices that connect fine to channel 1 & channel 2. Without the keyboard channel 3 entering pairing mode, there is nothing for any of my devices to pair with on that channel.

Maybe a way to factory reset the keyboard, or a firmware upgrade for the keyboard that may fix or reset channel 3?

Many thanks for your attention to this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Ok so Dell are convinced it is the fault of my 3 computers & their Bluetooth config/versions. Somehow this is preventing the keyboard channel 3 from entering Bluetooth pairing mode, is the implication.

They have asked me to check the Bluetooth versions on my computers, even though all 3 will BT pair with channel 2, but not channel 3.

My reply:

Hi & thanks again for your attention to my problem.

• The 3 computers I have are all Windows 10, Bluetooth 4.0 or above.
  • ALL 3 computers will USB receiver pair using channel 1 of the keyboard.
  • ALL 3 computers will Bluetooth pair using channel 2 of the keyboard.
  • NONE of the 3 computers will Bluetooth pair using channel 3 of the keyboard - this is because the KEYBOARD CHANNEL 3 does not go into pairing mode.

I have just tried the Dell Mouse WM527 that came with the WK717 keyboard in the KM717 combo package... this pairs flawlessly over Bluetooth to all 3 of my computers using channels 2 & 3 Bluetooth, so does that confirm to us that the keyboard pairing issue on channel 3 is NOT the problem of my computers, but of the keyboard's channel 3 itself?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell Support don't seem to be getting it. Now being asked to install a Universal Receiver firmware update that we tried 5 days ago; still no acknowledgement that it is not my devices where the problem is. My latest response to them, after multiple messages to & fro including me making a video for them showing the problem is with the keyboard, not with other devices:

WHY are we still focused on Windows Bluetooth versions? What bearing does that have on the keyboard, in isolation, failing to go into pairing mode on channel 3? What bearing does Windows Bluetooth version have on my Galaxy Tab S4 or Galaxy S20 Plus? The device does not matter.

THE KEYBOARD IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS; so it's hardware, or firmware on THE KEYBOARD.

AND it's a problem on one of the two Bluetooth settings (channel 3, not channel 2; definitely nothing to do with channel 1 (USB receiver))... so unless you asking me to do the firmware upgrade AGAIN is going to result in new firmware being pushed onto the keyboard, new dongle firmware is not going to help if the USB dongle is not in the connection equation; the USB dongle is NOT a part of the Bluetooth connectivity.

THE LINK YOU PROVIDED FOR THE USB FIRMWARE UPDATER IS THE SAME UPDATE THAT WE TRIED ON 6 MAY! 😞

I REINSTALLED WINDOWS 10 YESTERDAY on my laptop; other issues, unrelated, & certainly nothing to do with my other 2 Windows 10 devices & 2 Android devices; not just an OS led recovery either; a full delete all partitions & start again from bare metal... guess what...? My keyboard, channel 3, still won't go into pairing mode. Why not? Because there is a problem with the KEYBOARD & the Windows 10 re-installation has NOTHING to do with the keyboard failing to go into Bluetooth pairing mode on channel 3.

I don't know how it can be any more clear... the KEYBOARD needs to be:

1. Factory reset; or
  2. New firmware specific to the keyboard
  3. Replaced with either:
    • another WK717
    • a keyboard from somewhere else

Much as I love the WK717, I am not going to pay for another one given my current experience of effectively leasing it for less than 18 months before it becomes useless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

So in closing, I am told there is no way to reset the WK717/KM717, & there is no firmware update that will update the keyboard firmware rather than just the universal receiver.

No firmware that could be reapplied? No factory reset? What a load of rubbish, of course there is firmware (why would they show a firmware version for the keyboard if it wasn't a thing?).

No key combo for resetting? You have plenty of keys to choose from... still no reply as to what ESC+F1 does... it isn't a reset but it's a something.

Dell Support has led me round & round in circles failing to answer anything to get me anywhere.

... & I will not be leasing buying another Dell product for 18 months use; your laptops <Profanity removed> too - could never get a Dell laptop to be stable straight out of the box; or with considerable work I could by installing Windows directly & avoiding applying any of your downloadable driver packs... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Maybe power on with ESC+Fn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for the suggestion... it does not appear to do anything tho. ☹

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same here - Channel 3 for me.

Was working on my devices for ages, but now won't enter pairing mode or be visible by ANY of the devices I had previously paired channel 3 with before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Just one more thing - all this talk of it being drivers and compatibility that is the magic problem, i've noticed that when pairing in channel 2, the little white light on the back flashes while its broadcasting ( before actual pairing commences ).  This just does not happen in channel 3.

Got to be a hardware / firmware issue.

0 Kudos