Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2009 16:00

Laptop EXTREMELY slow when not connected to network

I use my personal laptop at work (an Inspiron E1505). To do so, I had to put it on the network at work. However, when I am home, my laptop runs extremely slow, sometimes taking several minutes just to open a simple program like the calculator. Web surfing is useless even with Road Runner. Any way to make this faster?

Also, how would I go about removing the computer from the network and would that fix the issue or would I need to wipe the whole thing and start over?

2.4K Posts

May 26th, 2009 11:00

Try power cycling your computer,  router and modem. By this I mean turn everything off.  Then turn on your cable modem. Wait till it is booted up completely. then turn on your router and wait till its powered up completely, then power up your computer.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2009 13:00

It's all been turned on and off several times. Still no better. It connects fine. It's the entire system that runs really slow, not just the internet. The internet is even slower, but just to run a program takes forever as well. Always when I'm at home, not connected to the work network.

3 Posts

January 24th, 2012 13:00

I know it's a long shot because it's been so long, but have you had any luck? I have a user with similar problems on a Latitude E6500, WinXP. I've already reimaged his laptop with no improvement.

43 Posts

January 25th, 2012 13:00

Inspiron 6000 (notebook) / Win XP

Ok, Here is something to consider as a means to fault-isolate things a smidgeon.

My old Inspiron 6000 was causing lots of trouble until I accidently discovered that it had to do with the mini-PCI wifi card within it.  And not just it, but both of the ones I tried.  At first the system seemed ok, and then shortly after it would be deathly slow at absolutely everything.

So I decided to remove the card and go with a USB adapter.  BOTH usb adapters I tried (a Netgear 802.11g AND a Medialink 11n) had the system running smooth as silk.  And this notebook is old.

Having a little experience in device drivers (Unix---back in the day) I can guess some of the low level reasons why this can happen.  But they'd only be guesses.

Try disabling the card devices and use a USB adapter and compare.

3 Posts

February 8th, 2012 05:00

@tgm - Thanks for the tip! Disabling the wifi appears to have been the answer. Now I just need to work with Dell tech support, since it's under warranty, to troubleshoot a little further and then most likely replace the adapter. Thank you!

43 Posts

February 11th, 2012 12:00

Glad I could help!

43 Posts

February 14th, 2012 12:00

FWIW, I'm beginning to think this is a problem endemic to the mini-PCI card slot on the Inspiron 6000.  Best to leave it empty and move on.....it's what I'm doing.

3 Posts

February 15th, 2012 05:00

Since this laptop is still under warranty I contacted Dell tech support, who wanted me to update the BIOS before they would replace the card. I had done that in the past, but they had a new update as of a month ago, and it fixed the problem!

43 Posts

February 15th, 2012 07:00

Now check your connection speeds (NOT with dslreports.  They are always radically off----long story).  If you max out at 2.4Mbps......lemme know here.

No Events found!