Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2014 08:00

Laptop Sees Home Network / Won't Connect

Dell N5040 Laptop

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP-1

Dell Wireless 1502 802.11b/g/n Network Adapter

Western Digital WNR2000 Router

Up until recently, I’ve had no problems with my Dell Laptop connecting to our home network. In the last few weeks however, I have not been able to connect.   My laptop sees the network but will not connect automatically or manually.

Other wireless devices in the house see the network and connect normally.

I have taken the laptop to a neighbor’s house and connected to their network without difficulty.

I have tried a few troubleshooting items myself including:

1. Insuring the adapter is turned on with the keyboard FN-wireless F key.
  2. Disabling/enabling the adapter.
  3. Rebooting my router and laptop.
  4. Running the Windows troubleshooting tool.
  5. I have insured that the laptop is within range of the router and the security choices on both devices match (WPA2-PSK / AES).
  6. I have tried selecting a different security choice on both the router and laptop with no success.

Incidental info:  I have recently replaced my old Dell XP desktop with a new Dell 8.1 desktop.  I have the internet line connected to my modem, then to the router, and finally to the new Dell desktop (I'm including this info as the laptop problem may have started about the same time that I replaced my desktop-not sure though).

It’s puzzling because the laptop seems to function normally at other locations, my router is obviously working as other wireless devices are not affected, however when the laptop is in our house it will not connect even though it sees our network.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

27 Posts

March 20th, 2014 16:00

I have removed NIS using the removal tool and rebooted with no change to the connection issue (Not Connected - Connections are Available).

Netgear Wireless N Router Model WNR2000.

WPA2-PSK (AES) selected on both router and laptop.

Channel is set to AUTO (11(p) + 15(s)).

27 Posts

March 20th, 2014 16:00

OK.  I changed the channel to 11, changed security to WPA-PSK (TKIP),and created a new SSID (which my laptop sees).  All the other settings look OK.  Still no luck.

Do you think there's any value in doing a system restore from a few weeks ago when everything was good?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 20th, 2014 17:00

capair45,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

27 Posts

Well, it seems I'm back to normal now.  I went back into router settings to double-check things and found the channel was still set to AUTO.  I must not have saved the settings earlier.  As soon as I changed the channel to 11 and hit SAVE, the laptop immediately came to life, recognized my SSID, and connected.

I can't thank you enough for spending the better part of today helping me solve this.  I'll reinstall NIS then  throw a 6-pack on ice!!!

Thank you again, Rick!

27 Posts

Back to normal now. I must have forgot to save the router channel settings.  I went back to router settings to double-check and the setting had defaulted back to AUTO.  I changed it back to 11, saved it, and my laptop immediately recognized the network and connected.

Thank you so much for spending the better part of today helping me with this!!!

BTW, I've sent this reply 3-times but it doesn't appear.  Hope this time works.

Thanks again, Rick.

1 Message

August 31st, 2014 13:00

The above post is from 2014?  Doesn't take much internet searching to realize that Dell has had a real problem with their wifi adapters for YEARS but has yet to resolve.  I've seen every kind of troubleshooting and quickie fixes, but what I haven't seen is a long term solution from Dell that works.  Nor have I seen any warning for potential buyers.  Having to reboot over and over just to keep an internet connection is absurd.  Having to spend hours troubleshooting, or even dealing with forums isn't worth my time. Suffice it to say, I'm DONE with Dell.  Will be dumping mine on eBay ASAP.  Screw this GM mentality. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 31st, 2014 21:00

Physguy2,

Are you having a problem with your wireless adapter?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Make and model of your wireless router and the type of security you're using? What channel?

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER, if using XP, run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Rick

1 Message

October 12th, 2014 01:00

I have read and tried so many links that I almost gave up on my laptop. But ( no joke) I was watching the Big Bang Theory and Leonard was in bed with a laptop and watching Priya take off some clothing when his wifi started having problems and he couldn't see her. Sheldon screams from the other room that he can see her if he tries to reset his TCP/IP stack.

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/299357

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/299357

after many weeks of frustration it resolved my problem- true story

1 Message

June 16th, 2015 13:00

I have your exact problem (posted March 20, 9:04 AM).  How did your find the needed router setting and fix it?  Thanks for any help!

1 Message

August 13th, 2015 12:00

I have same problem, but i can't find "manage wireless networks" in "network and sharing center"

please how to solve this problem

1 Message

August 18th, 2015 09:00

How did you go into the router settings? I have a Dell inspiron and it says connected,  however above it it says not connected and connections are available.  Please help!?

1 Message

December 31st, 2015 06:00

this issue is now in lot windows 10 laptop .first i will say go and update the wireless and lan driver

make sure you have the adapter settings , get all update and for more visit my blog dell.technical-care.com . i hope this may help

1 Message

March 1st, 2018 20:00

same problem same fix changed to channel 11 on router and was able to connect.

Then went back to auto and everything is still working fine now.

October 31st, 2018 05:00

I know this is 4 years old but thank you! I was going nuts uninstalling and re-installing drivers trying to figure out why i couldn't connect. Changed the wireless to channel 11 and that solved it..

October 22nd, 2019 16:00

Please update your instructions that you also need to run command prompt as adminstrator

No Events found!