Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2003 23:00

Linksys WPC54G wireless adapter on laptop only works after being booted for exactly 1 hour

This is my first experience with wireless and I am looking for some assistance. I recently bought a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router for my home network and a Linksys WPC54G Wireless-G Notebook Adapter for my Dell Inspiron 4000. The router works great, the desktop wired to the router works great, but the laptop with wireless PC Card only works great after the first hour. Let me explain.

I went through the whole process and loaded the driver and WLAN Monitor configuration utility from the Linksys CD. At that point it looks as if everything has loaded successfully, but there is no icon in the system tray for the WLAN Monitor. Looking at the running processes in the Windows Task Manager, I see that the WLAN Monitor (Wpc54cfg) is running, but there is no visible interface on the screen for the utility. When I go to Start--Programs--Wireless-G Notebook Adapter--Wireless-G Notebook Adapter Utility, an additional instance of the WLAN Monitor (Wpc54cfg) process will appear in the Windows Task Manager but, again, there is no visible interface on the screen for the utility.

Now, exactly 1 hour after the computer is booted, the WLAN Monitor icon appears in the system tray and everything works great. I can open and use the WLAN Configuration utility, surf the net, do wireless printing, etc. And it will work great for days, until I reboot the computer. At that point I have to wait 1 hour for the icon to appear in the system tray, and everything is ok again.

I have tried too many things to list here.  By the way, my desktop is running XP and my laptop Windows Me.  Any suggestions???

770 Posts

April 11th, 2003 01:00

THis may sound odd,  but what happens if you un-install the Linksys software and re-install it?  If that doesn't work,  what about un-installing it and installing the Dell TrueMobile 1300 software?  I have the Linksys WMP54G which I have placed the Mini-PCI card into my internal socket,  and it works better with the Dell TrueMobile 1300 drivers than with the Linksys drivers...

7.3K Posts

April 15th, 2003 02:00

This may also sound drastic, but I'd dump Me for w2k pro.

770 Posts

April 15th, 2003 15:00

Well,  I am running Win2K Pro, and I have a similar situation,  just not near as severe.  My networking layer starts extremely slowly.  I have never timed it,  but it takes about 60 seconds for it to complete.  I have thought about watching the startup process to see what process are runnign to see if I can identify it,  but I just haven't felt a "need" to take the time to do that (yet)...

I can say that I saw my delay started to happen about the same time  I installed Mircosoft's Windows Services for Unix v3.0,  but I do not know that this is the cause of my problem...

For the original poster,  what happens if you remove the Linksys tray app from the startup and manually start it yourself?  Does that resolve your startup delay problem?

Message Edited by JersWork on 04-15-2003 11:08 AM

12 Posts

May 24th, 2003 03:00

try  to uninstall the linksys utility and use the default windows xp utility to configure the wireless connection(ctrl panel-n/w connection- wireless connection).or from the wireless n/w connection properties uncheck use windows to configure my wireless n/w and see.

Mark

i use linksys BEFW11S4 (802.b) with i8200 , that's no problem !

Try to update the AP fireware !

3 Posts

I am experiencing the exact same problem with my WPC54G on my 8100 running win me.  Did anyone find a solution to the problem??

1 Message

January 25th, 2004 00:00

Request help with this thread issue...  new to the forum, but could use all the help I can get...perplexed

Inspiron 8100 w/ WINMe (I know...upgrade XP; work computer> can't); 320 Mb RAM; TI PCI-4451 CardBus controller; presume all TCP/IP properties set properly

Using LINKSYS WRT54G and WPC54G wireless adaptor and have trended almost to the minute same issue as that stated in the subject line.  I have read just about all the relevant threads I could find, as well as Bob T's FAQs.  I did find one response that dealt with the Advanced tab under the Wireless G-Adaptor Properties settings, but I can't find it again.  DELL URL (Downloads) has updated drivers dated 7/17/03 and, strangely enough, one specifically for TI BusCard Controllers.  I have downloaded both and installed, all to no avail. 

Will provide any info that I may have neglected to include out of ignorance...Any help appreciated!!!

Long anticipation after BOOT, Ken

3 Posts

January 25th, 2004 01:00

I have never found a solution to this problem.  I too am running a Dell 8100 with Win Me. My workaround is to put the 8100 in Hibernate mode when I power down.  This allows the machine to power back up without rebooting windows and that keeps the wireless software "alive" between power ups.  The down side is that windows will eventually become unstable and need a true reboot.  Then you have to wait the 1 hour delay for the wireless to initialize.  I'm rather sure that upgrading to XP will resolve this issue.  I just have not taken the time to do it yet. 

1 Message

July 10th, 2004 20:00

I have a Linksys WPC54G wireless network adapter installed in each of two Dell laptops (Insp 8000 and 3800), both running Windows ME. The adapters are a Ver. 2 and a Ver 4.  Each is used with the Ver 4 driver.  I have the same problem but only on the Insp. 8000.  That is, the adapter works fine but the WLAN monitor does not show up in the sytem tray and cannot be adressed through the Start menu until 1-2 hours after bootup. I have swapped cards and changed drivers, but it is only the Insp. 8000.  It looks therefore like a Dell problem, not a Windows Me or a Linksys problem.  Have not found a solution.  Let me know if there is a cure.

3 Posts

July 11th, 2004 02:00

Upgrade to Win XP and eveything works fine.  That was my solution.

Good luck!

No Events found!