Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2001 16:00

Lucent Modem - XP No Standby and other problems

Hi All,

I recently installed XP on my 7500 (Internal Lucent Winmodem)

Having some problems:

Symptoms:
1. The system will not suspend. When I attempt to suspend the system (FN-Esc) I get a message to the effect of "The device driver for the Lucent Win Modem device is preventing the machine from entering standby..."
Uninstalling/disabing the modem does not help with this problem.

2. When I attempt to use the modem, I find that it does not work initally. I must uninstall the modem, reboot (allow PnP to find it and install it) and then it works. After shutting down again (too bad I can't put the system in standby ;) ) the modem no longer works. I have to uninstall it and reboot again.

Seems like a might need a driver update, but can't find any XP specific ones.

The current driver is:
Microsoft
3/9/2000

TIA
-lc

877 Posts

December 26th, 2001 19:00

lclarke2,

You may want to see if there is a Windows 2000 driver available, it may work for you on this.

You can get all the drivers for your system that Dell has validated, at our File Library.

Click Here to go to the Dell File Library.

Just put in your service tag, select the Operating System you have and choose the driver(s) that you want.

If you are unable to find the driver(s) through Dell, you may need to go to the manufacturers website to see what they have available.

Thank you for choosing Dell.

---
John M.

7.3K Posts

December 27th, 2001 02:00

Did you upgrade from ME and had you installed the osupa01.exe under ME? Try a "clean" install of XP if so.

John
3Com mini-PCI combo 10-100 NIC/56k Modem (part #313-7776)
GeForce2 Go video board part number - 4D597
I8K, I4K, I3.8K Media Bay parts: 4169D = carrier; 4 x 53965 = screws | $25.00
I7.5 Media Bay parts: 4124T = carrier, 11 x 3771U = screws | $25.00
This Media Bay carrier holds 9.5 and 12mm 2.5" drives but not 19mm.
Actiontec (Lucent 6.00) Driver link
Dell IBM Noise
IBM Travelstar Noise
8000 Updates for W2K and WinME (OSUPA00.EXE)
8100 Updates for W2K and WinME (OSUPA00.EXE)
256MB SoDIMMs And The GeForce2 Go
I8kfangui
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
US Mobile Computing Hotlines
Corporate/Government Accounts - 800-822-8965
Direct Accounts - 800-247-9252
Outside of the United States - Contact Dell in your global area.

385 Posts

December 27th, 2001 05:00

Aloha Lclarke,

This sounds like the issue with the "Quicken download manager" which waits for an Internet connection so that it can download in the background.

If you have Quicken 2000 installed, try to disable the "Download Manager" from:
Edit/ Options/ Internet Options.

When the dialog box appears, some people are saying they have to enter ALT-SHIFT-$ combination and others are saying that the dialog box came up as a button to disable.

Reboot.

The computer should now go into Standby and you shouldn't have to uninstall/reinstall the modem's drivers every time you reboot.

Aloha,
Rod

Inspiron & Latitude
POST.Bmp Downloads
("BIOS Splash Screens")

Akule
(Ah-coo-lay)
a type of fish
that runs in
schools

Message Edited on 05/09/02 07:00PM by Akule50

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2002 04:00

BINGO!

Many many thanks Rod.

-lc

5 Posts

August 15th, 2003 23:00

I had similar problems.  I was running Windows XP Professional on my notebook, and wanted to revert to XP Home (its a long story!).  After reinstalling Windows XP Home on my notebook, neither the standby or hibernate options were available on the shut down screen.  Searching the Microsoft site led me to believe that stanby and hibernate options were only available in XP Pro.  Not true.  Turned out the reinstall did not restore the appropriate drivers for the screen (monitor) or modem.   Updating the drivers cured the problem.  So .... always run Device Manager after a reinstall of Windows XP to insure that all drivers are up an working properly or you may lose functionality.

JD

1 Message

May 30th, 2004 23:00

i'm  having the same problem here. i get a message  "the  device driver for the 'PCTEL 2304WT v.92 MDC Modem' device is preventing the machine from entering standby" on my inspiron 600m. i removed and reinstalled the driver but i still get the same message. But this is happening after i removed QUICKEN from my machine. Can anyone help me...its draining my batteries fast...thanks in advance
No Events found!