Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

April 22nd, 2012 22:00

Missing network controller driver After reinstalation of windows 7 on ispiron N4010

Hey guys, first time poster here. I recently reinstalled windows 7 on my dad laptop after he  <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> it up beyond repair. After installing the appropriate drivers I still had no detection on my wlan adapter so I checked out the device list, and it says im missing drivers for two things: one is the network controller, the other is just listed as an unknown device. 

I already installed every driver for the appropriate devices on the laptop, in the correct order, or as i could best manage it, but still no dice. The only network driver on the disk for my inspiron is one for an ethernet controller.

Am I missing something really obvious? is it a problem with the driver installation order? help, Pls, i had to loan my laptop to my dad and god knows what hes doing with it right now!

April 22nd, 2012 23:00

Thanks, i will try them out and write back. I know the order you install the drivers in matters, if i just throw these drivers on after everything else is installed, will it still be fine? Is there a way to see what wlan card i have without installing the drivers and just seeing if they work? will there be any problems if i install a drivers and it turns out not to be the right one?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hi,

Welcome to the community

In Inspiron N4010, there are 4 types of WLAN Card that can be installed on this computer. So you need to check which card you got. Either Dell 1501 or 1520 and Intel Centrino 6200 or 6250. Check the drivers below ;

Intel 6250 http://dell.to/HUU4Op

Intel 6200 http://dell.to/HZrt9z

Dell Wlan 1501 http://dell.to/IKvgJ3

Dell Wlan 1520 http://dell.to/JHnXkA (mostly installed on desktops)

Things to check after installation:

- Sometimes the WLAN Card is disabled in BIOS. Check BIOS (F2), under advanced tab.

- Wireless Switch is off. Do F2 (Enable/Disable)

Some Useful Links:

Drivers Installation Guide http://dell.to/HvHa7i

Dell Support Center http://dell.to/H7g8tf (This application looks for driver,updates and patches)

Hope these helps,

And officially, this is not the answer. trying to install any of those drivers just informs me that the hardware isnt there, then the installer quits

ok, wait, no, not at all. i see these drivers in the dell drivers instalation disc, all 4 of them, each with the words (Customer install) next to them in parenthesesbut the hardware scan doesnt detect any of them. Its telle me to install the Atheros AR8152 PCI-E fast ethernet controller, and nothing else. is there something more fundamental wrong?is my system not picking up hardware thats there?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 00:00

I see. I think the problem is the wireless card itself. Please accept my friend request and send me the service tag of the computer thru private message.

Thank you,

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 00:00

Pollyatomic420,

The notebook system Utility and the chipset drivers need installed first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Desktop/notebook system utilities and the chipset drivers know what is attached to each system, so these need to be installed first on any Dell Computer. Usually the first sign of the drivers not being installed properly is usually the network adapters, since people try to connect to the internet first. It can also include other items that are considered as usb attached, like the usb ports, webcams, etc.

Rick

April 23rd, 2012 11:00

thx  Rick. I actually did install the drivers in the correct order, including te chipset, but not  the NSU/NSS, which wasnt included in the disk or the driver page for my inspiron, which is why i just kind of... ignored it. however, certain drivers have clearly been installed and are functioning, even without installing the NSU ( Like, there have been clear graphic and sound changes from before I installed the respective drivers) Also, my usb ports are working fine. Im using a usb mouse and transferring files with an external hard drive. Does this mean the NSU is there? If i have to reinstall everything in the correct order, should I uninstall all the drivers and try again, or do you reccomend starting from scratch and just reinstalling the OS again?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 11:00

Pollyatomic420,

Start with the notebook system utility and the chipset drivers and install them in order. Things should start working.

Rick

1 Message

June 13th, 2012 14:00

Hello,

I have the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 14R (N4010). The wifi is just not working. I have a 32-bit OS and the Dell 'Drivers and Downloads' site only has a driver for 64-bit system. Please help.

3 Posts

September 27th, 2012 18:00

Hello,

I am having the same problem as the person in this thread. I just did a dual boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron N4010. Everything worked great automatically in Ubuntu, but not in Windows. I installed everything relevant from the Drivers and Downloads page in the correct order - chipset, intel storage, ethernet controller, quickset...but no dice. Even with the ethernet controller installed, ethernet does not work, and I can't find which wireless driver is applicable to me. Windows detects no hardware for connecting to the internet. I even have the original drivers and software CD that came with my computer, but it didn't help either.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Michelle

1 Message

June 9th, 2013 15:00

I had the same problem!  I re-installed with Window's 7 32 Bit...and then could find not drivers that worked.  Re-installed with Window 7 64 Bit and went to install drivers from Dell's website....but none of the Network drivers including the wireless and Ethernet connection driver would work.  I tried them all without success.  Finally went to Walmart and bought a USB wireless adapter which worked great.  I decided to go into device manager to try and update the drivers from there since I had Internet now....and it found the Network Controller I needed, plus added the drivers I had previously installed.  Not having the Controller was the issue.  Never saw a computer do this before..and I've reformatted allot of computers.  And BTW...the adapter was only $24.00!  Sure wish I had bought it before I spent 2 days trying to fix it myself!  UGH!

1 Message

September 5th, 2017 23:00

WELL ALOT OF DELLS ETHERNET AND WIRELESS DRIVERS ARE ATHEROS, WELL THOSE ARE MADE BY QUALLCOM. goto QUALCOM WEBSITE AND YOU BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR DRIVER YOU NEED GUARANTEED

No Events found!