Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2009 10:00

Multiple instances of 6to4 adapter shown in device manager

I have Windows Vista Home Premium service pack 1 installed on a Dell Inspiron 1521

When I look in the device manager, and show hidden devices, I see many instances of 6to4 adapter.
If I uninstall all 6to4 adapters, then reboot the computer, one 6to4 adapter is installed. If I reboot again another instance of 6to4 adapter is installed.
It appears that a 6to4 adapter is installed every time that I reboot.

The drivers all appear to function. No warnings appear.

My intuition tells me that this is not normal and should not happen.

Also, I have noticed that when I have multiple 6to4 drivers listed in the device manager then I unplug the Ethernet cable, one 6to4 driver disappears but the rest remain. When I re-plug in the Ethernet cable, a new 6to4 driver installs. If I uninstall all 6to4 drivers then unplug Ethernet cable then re-plug the cable a new 6to4 driver appears.

Is the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller the problem? I looked that the Broadcom website. It is very confusing to me. I am not even certain if that is the driver that is causing the problem. I also downloaded the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller Diagnostics Utility. Ran it. No problems were found.

Any help is appreciated,

P_Mash

2 Posts

June 9th, 2009 10:00

I had an online chat with a Dell representative tonight. He connected to my computer and has determined that it is running properly. That is hard for me to believe. It does not bother the Dell representative that the driver installs every time you reboot and leaves the previous installs.

I am very disapointed with Dell.

P_Mash

21 Posts

August 25th, 2009 07:00

I am having this issue crop up around our company with D620 and D630's and Vista will hang on the revolving green bar, delete the 6TO4 adapters and it's fine for awhile, then it'll rear it's ugly head yet again..

No Events found!