Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2008 22:00

NIC Card not responding - no IP address

Hello,

I was told by Verizon tech support people that the NIC card in my Dell computer is not responding which was the reason why I cannot connect to the internet, not wireless nor with ethernet cable.

We treid to disable then enable, that did not work.  We then tried to uninstall, reboot to reinstall.  Once the computer reboots the NIC card was reinstalled.  You can see it in the hardware device manager but still don't have IP address. 

When I go into Control Panel--Network Connections.  I can see LAN showing local area connection--connected.  Intel(R) PRO/1000MT Network Connection, but when I click support, the connection status is completely blank. When I click Repair, I get the following message:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action can not be completed:  Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection.  Cannot proceed.

Can anyone help??

My computer system:

Intel OptipleX GX270

Intel Pentium 4

CPU 2.4Ghz   2.39GHz 

1.00GB Ram
Intel(R)PRO/1000MT Network

Thank you very much.

121 Posts

March 21st, 2008 00:00

are you using a router or a modem?? because if you dont have IP address then your DHCP settings on your router/modem is not giving you an IP address at all... then it could be an ISP issue... usually even if the drivers on your NIC is not working properly you will still get an IP address that usually starts with 169.xx.xx.xx

it is an IP address given by your PC.. since your getting a blank ip address and your NIC is working properly i do suggest borrow a modem from a friend or neighbor to test your internet connection... or you can ask your ISP to replace it your modem/router...

Message Edited by kikomatsing on 03-21-2008 09:26 AM

68 Posts

March 21st, 2008 03:00

I am using a wireless DSL router/modem.  I don't believe the router is the problem because I have two Dell computers.  One runs just find, able to go online and do whatever I need.  The other one is the one with no IP address.

Thanks.

68 Posts

April 10th, 2008 21:00

I have been away for a few weeks.  My problem is still unresolved.  Can anyone tell me how I can find an IP address? My modem/router is function just fine because I am using it with another desk top.  Is there any way around this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Dimension 8250 Model#DHM 

Intel OptipleX GX270 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.4Ghz   2.39GHz   1.00GB Ram

Wireless DSL Modem/Router:  Verizon GT704WG

14.4K Posts

April 11th, 2008 12:00

did you reset your TC/IP setting???

open network connections..right click on the LAN. in the box that pops up scroll down to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) line ..click on it and then click on the properties button

In the General screen ensure the Obtain an IP address automatically box is checked

Also ensure that the Obtain DNS server address automatically is checked. Click the advanded button and in the settings box make sure it says DHCP enabled click ok to go to the first box. Click on the alternate configuration tab and make sure the Automatic private IP address line is checked.. click ok....

bring up the run command and type cmd.

In the dos box type ipconfig /all copy and paste the results here..

68 Posts

April 11th, 2008 22:00

Thank you for answering my post.  My computer's TP/IP setting shows exactly what you have showing but when I ran the ipconfig/all I get this message:

An internal error occurred.

The request is not supported.

Please contact Microsoft product support services for further help.

additional information:  unable to query host name.

I checked the Network connection, it is connected (using ethernet cable) and the device is working properly under Device Status:

Local Area Connection4 

connected

Intel (R) Pro/1000MT Network Connection

Do you or anyone have any idea what this means?

Intel OptipleX GX270

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.4Ghz   2.39GHz

1.00GB Ram

Intel® Pro/1000MT Network Connection

Wireless Modem/Router  Verizon GT704WG

Thank you for helping.

14.4K Posts

April 12th, 2008 01:00

you did put a space between the g in config and  / correct?

Do the lights on the ethernet port on the computer Flash?

68 Posts

April 12th, 2008 03:00

Thank you for your answer.

I checked my "ipconfig /all".  The message did not change.  It is not there.  The lights on the modem/router is on.  What else can I try to help me find my IP address?

Thanks again.

Intel OptipleX GX270
1.00GB Ram
Verizon GT704WG Wireless Modem/Router 

14.4K Posts

April 12th, 2008 17:00

I found this by Googling your issue..seems to have worked for a couple of people :

Finally I did a file search for tcpip.sys and renamed every instance to "tcpip.sys_old" - essentially disabling it... Windows XP message came up immediately saying it needed to repair itself but I waited and proceeded to rename all instances of tcpip.sys found and then followed the instruction window and inserted my Windows XP disk and let it have its way with my computer... rebooted and wow! CONNECTION RE-ESTABLISHED all on its own. That is all I did.. no expert believe me, I have no clue why it worked, just used my imagination. ;-)

Something else....

Click START then RUN. You will then see a box to type in. Delete whatever in in there and type CMD. Then click OK.
Type in :-
netsh winsock reset
Then press ENTER and restart your computer.

Next, repeat the first part of the previous step.
(Click START then RUN. You will then see a box to type in. Delete whatever in in there and type CMD. Then click OK.)
Type in :-
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Then press ENTER and restart your computer again.

You should now be able to connect to your router.

Message Edited by Davet50 on 04-12-2008 02:40 PM

68 Posts

April 12th, 2008 19:00

I am happy to see that there is hope for my computer.  I only found one tcpop.sys file which I re-named just like you said.  After inserting the CD, there are five options and I don't know which one I should choose, so I am stuck:

1.  install Windows XP

2.  learn more about the setup process

3.  install optional windows components

4.  perform additional tasks

5.  check system compatibility

Next question:  If I were successful in re-establishing my IP address, do I need to do the two CMD in your instructions any way?

By the way, as far as I am concern, you are an expert.  Thank you for helping me out.

Intel OptipleX GX270
1.00GB Ram

14.4K Posts

April 12th, 2008 20:00

I believe you want # 4 and do a repair option..

You could alway rename the file again and try the 2nd option with the  command lines.. i belive you tcip stacks or winsocks are indeed messed up..

68 Posts

April 12th, 2008 21:00

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I now have internet connection.  Can I delete the "tcpip.sys_old" file from my computer.

Next questions, who can I ask about viruses?  As soon as I got back into internet, AVG found a virus on my computer which might explain the lost internet connection in the first place.  the virus is in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\colbactd.dll

Virus identified Obfustat.ADXW

Can you please direct me to the right place?

Thanks a million for your help.

Intel OptipleX GX270
1.00GB Ram

14.4K Posts

April 13th, 2008 15:00

Yes you should be able to delete the old file as a new one was created...

As to the AVG i run that too,  won't it clean it out for you?

If not is would suggest that you google the virus name and see if there are any (free) cleaners that need to be run....

No Events found!