Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2006 20:00

Networking a Windows XP and a Windows 2000 computer

I am having problems adding a new Windows XP Pro computer to my network. All the computers are running different operating systems:

Windows XP
Windows 98
Windows 2000

The Win98 and Win2000 computers can see each other with their Windows Explorers, Microsoft Word, etc. However, the XP computer can only see and be seen by the Win98 computer.

I can ping all the computers from the new XP computer, and I can ping the XP from all the other computers. However, the pinging only works if I use IP addresses, not computer names, except that computer names work between the XP and Win98 computers.

How can I get the XP to see all the Win2000 computer?

2 Posts

January 26th, 2006 17:00

well are all windows 2000 and xp on same workgroup?

is there firewall on your xp? like sp2 with the firewall?

8 Posts

January 26th, 2006 19:00

Thanks for your reply.

I now have the 3 computers talking to each other, although the Win98 computer seems to take a long time to respond. FWIW, all the computers were always in the same workgroup. I disabled the firewalls, but still got no connections.

I think the problem was fixed by disabling the NetBEUI protocol on the Win2000 computer, and deleteing all NetBEUIs from the Win98.

I hesitate to change anything else now since the 3 computers are communicating, but I still have IPX/SPX protocol running on the Win98, and a WinNT 4.0 computer which I did not mention before since I was trying to simplify the situation, and the WinNT may be heading out the door. The WinNT is also communicating with the other 3 computers.

Do you think the IPX/SPX could be slowing down the response from the Win98? The
No Events found!