Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2011 15:00

Networking and Router Selection

Hi,

I have a DELL desktop and laptop, both running XP Pro and am about to take delivery of another DELL desktop running Windows 7.  I also have 2 printers, a small HP laserjet for B/W and an HP Photosmart Pro B9180 that I use for photography.  Neither of the printers has a wireless capability.

I'd like to network all of these so that I can print from anywhere and have access to any computer from other computer.  My older desktop is hardwired to the internet and I am currently using a Linksys router to connect the laptop to the internet, but it seems to be dropping in signal strength of late. Does anyone have any recommendations for a router with two USB ports?

I appreciate any help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 18th, 2011 16:00

rcaastro,

Did you ever update the firmware in the wireless router?

Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.

Try reading...

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Other links to read...

File and Print Sharing in Vista (Thanks to mombodog) and Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Virus programs and firewalls will block communications, so it's important you state the protection being used.

I have a Dell V715w Wireless Printer and it's connected to my network. I can only print from the area near my home, as long as I'm connected to my network. Router located on the second floor for better signal. I can use my laptop outside with no problems. I would consider either a wireless router with a print server attached or just considering using print servers on each of the printers. Netgear and Linksys seem to work well. Belkin has a problem recognizing Wpa-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal)

Rick

No Events found!