Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2013 07:00

New Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop, not able to connect to WiFi network

Hi,

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 15R laptop online and received it today.

It has Windows 8 preloaded, I am not able to connect to my WiFi network, while I am able to connect using my other devices.

The WiFi network in getting detected and the signal strength is full as well, when I give the password and click connect, it tries to verify and connect for a long time, finally say "Can't connect to this network".

Can anyone please help me in this, urgent.

Thanks.

1.1K Posts

February 27th, 2013 08:00

Hi ssp922,

I request you provide me more information in regards to the wireless issue. It will help me getting proper understanding.

• Which anti-virus is installed on the laptop?
  • Please share the name and model number of the wireless router
  • Please share the name and model number of the modem (if present)
  • Please share the name of the 'Internet Service Provider'
Boot your system in 'Safe mode with Networking' and try to connect to the wireless network:

To boot the system in safe mode with networking on Windows 8

Press the Win+R key combination and type msconfig in the run box and hit enter.

Switch over to the boot tab, and click on the Safe Boot check box.

You also need to choose the type of Safe Boot option as "Network"

The Active Directory option pertains to restoring a server that is a Domain Controller for your network. Once you have chosen your option click the ok button and restart your machine.

You PC will be booted into Safe Mode automatically.

If you restart you PC you will just keep getting booted into Safe Mode. To stop this, open msconfig again and uncheck the Safe Boot option, then hit the 'OK' button. Check if the issue persists there.  

In case the issue still persists, try  to disable the firewall of anti-virus that is installed in the computer and check the result. This laptop is generally shipped with mcafee anti-virus. If Mcafee is installed on your laptop, please follow the steps listed below to disable the mcafee firewall temporarily:
- Locate the 'McAfee' icon on the taskbar. This is located in the lower right-hand side of your screen next to the clock
- Right click 'Mcafee' icon and go to 'Settings' 
- Click 'Firewall' (Following screen appears)

- Click 'Settings'
- Turn off the 'Mcafee firewall' (Select 15 minutes)
- Click 'Done'
- Re-check the 'internet access'
- If 'Internet works, repeat the same steps to launch Mcafee firewall' interface
- Click 'Turn On' (following screen appears)

- Click 'Restore Defaults' and re-try  to connect to the wireless Internet.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

3 Posts

February 27th, 2013 09:00

I even tried connecting in the safe mode. I dint work. Please help.

Thanks,

Saravana

3 Posts

February 27th, 2013 09:00

Hi Vikram,

Thanks for the quick response, hope below input would be helpful to you.

1. My system has the McAfee anti-virus the preloaded one that comes with Dell laptops.

2. I am using a Wireless modem [Teracom Modem, model number - T2-B-Gawv1.4U10Y-BI (WT/8Mn)] 4LAN and WLAN

3. I am using BSNL internet service provider.

I did try disabling the anti-virus firewall, it dint work.

Will try running in safe mode and let you know soon.

Thanks,

Saravana

1.1K Posts

February 28th, 2013 14:00

Hi Saravana,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your efforts. Try connecting your system with any other network and see if it connects. Also, login to your router page and disable the security of it an try connecting. Below are the login details of your router:

• Link/Address: 192.168.1.1
  • Default user name: admin
  • Default password: admin

These are the default user name and password of your router. In case it does not accept the default user name and the password, you may need to contact your Internet service provider.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

1 Message

March 26th, 2014 08:00

I also have purchased a dell 15r 5537 laptop last week. I have a similar problem. Though the wifi connection is thro to the bsnl router but the connection shows as limited and internet access is not available. I tried the internet sharing option thro my lumia 510 phone but here also the wifi connection is shown as limited. In trouble shooting it says no problems found.. I am forced to use my 3g dongle for internet. pl help

c a reddy

1 Message

August 28th, 2019 08:00

hi...I also have the same device but mine is a Windows 10....I installed a DHSDPA modem and runned it..it installed but whenever I click the connect button it keeps on saying disconnected instead of connected buy normal Wi-Fi is working what do I do please....Is so frustrating am thinking of returning it(got it yesterday) .....urgent....thanks

No Events found!