Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2013 19:00

New Dell Venue 8 tablet wifi authentication issue

Hi,

I just turned on my new Venue 8 and I cannot connect to my wifi network.  All my other devices are on but the Venue 8 doesn't want to authenticate the network and I cannot get on the web.

My laptop is on and it works like a charm.  All other tablet with Android OS seems to have the same problem not just Dell.  Please advise me on how to get this fixed to be able to use the tablet.

Thanks

Oli

1 Message

June 19th, 2014 17:00

Both your router and your device needs to support it.

In general there are two methods:

Button activated - you hit the button on both your router and your device at the same time.  In the case of your dell android device there is an icon at the top of the screen (like the one below) when you are at the wireless network page.  Your router may have either a software button or an actual button to push.  It's very much a push and pray operation.

The other approach is entering a pin value.

On your dell android device it will be under the ... at the upper right corner of the screen

"WPS Pin Entry".  You enter the PIN that shows on your anddroid into your router and punch and pray.

27 Posts

December 30th, 2013 15:00

Hi There are several threads on this issue in the Venue 8 pro forum and I am struggling with this same problem. 

So far it looks like the default wireless profile used at startup on the newer 64GB tablets build 00X may prevent wifi connection depending on specific authentication and encryption settings on the wireless gateway.  The last couple 64GB tablets I set up wanted to connect using WPA AES only, which my primary wifi router does not support (WPA TKIP or WPA2 AES).  So during setup the tablets connected to my secondary wifi router which does support WPA AES.  

My 32GB Venue 8 Pro I got late November appears to be a different build 001 and it connected to my primary router during setup using WPA2 AES and is solid.  

AND on top of it Windows 8.1 does not support wifi profile editing unless you are connected (catch 22).

One thing to try is to set your wifi router settings to WPA AES and try to connect the tablet and resume setup.  And, I would recommend disabling automatic Windows updates at initial setup.

authentication = WPAPSK   encryption>AES

1 Message

January 7th, 2014 14:00

I am having the same problem with my venue 8 android i just bought two weeks ago. The wifi worked for a couple of days and then it quit working.

12 Posts

January 10th, 2014 13:00

I had the same issue. I resolved this by using the WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup). This worked like a champ. No problems since then.

Thanks

1 Message

January 31st, 2014 07:00

How do you use the WPS?

1 Message

March 20th, 2014 20:00

many friends of mine met the same problem. I am the lucky one, i don't have famous android tablet. Only buy cheap one from china and there is nothing with wrong. Cheap but functional. :emotion-2:

1 Message

June 17th, 2020 17:00

Hi @Oli14 Dont worry wifi authentication issue is very common. I would suggest you to follow some of these points to solve this problem

1. Reset your Android Wi-Fi connection
2. Verify the wireless network name for duplicates
3. Modify the wireless network configuration
4. Give the old Airplane mode a try
5. Perform Network settings reset on Android
6. Make sure your device software is up to date
7. Factory reset your Android device
I hope one of these points will help to fix the wifi problem

No Events found!