Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2009 13:00

New Laptop Connects as local only

I just took my new 1737 laptop out of the box but cannot connect to the internet! I keep getting local only... my old laptop is workig on the wireless router perfectly, but I cannot get the new one to connect to the internet. If I connect to the router directly via an ethernet cable, it's not problem.. any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 13th, 2009 16:00

kaydenmom,

What type of security does your wireless router use? What channel is it on?

Rick

9 Posts

August 13th, 2009 20:00

security is WEP 64 bit on channel 6... I sonder if I try to put in a static IP address if it might work? It rund perfectly on my old lpatop which is also running Vista although I think 32 bit as opposed to the 64 bit on the new laptop... One thing that might help is to mention that I dont get a IPv6 address when I check under properties... I' ve uninstalled the wireless card and reinstalled, I hesitate to do too much else since it's a brand new out of the box this mornig computer!

9 Posts

August 13th, 2009 21:00

No luck... D-Link won't let me go to anything but channel 6 nor will it allow me to change the security... there's no other options in the drop-down menu. I plan to get a new router tomorrow and see what happens. Any other ideas? I really appreciate your helping me! this has been more stressful than you would think- my entire home-business is hinging on getting this up and running so any ideas are welcome!

kaydenmom,

Try using WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal)

Also try using channel 11 and see what happens.

Rick

9 Posts

In properties/general, it states under device status " No drivers are installed for this device" in reference to my Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN... is this possible;  could they have shipped my computer without a driver for the wireless card, or is this normal and nominal?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 14th, 2009 01:00

kaydenmom,

It may sound like something didn't get installed properly. I would restore using the recovery image.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

As for the wireless router...

How to login to your wireless router

Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings

Rick

9 Posts

August 14th, 2009 09:00

Rick, I tried the reset with high hopes, but no luck there either... I still get "local only" for a connection. I can log into my router, but I can't make changes to the encryption or channel... the dropdowns won't give me the option. Doing a Google search, it seems many other people with my same laptop/ wireless card have the same issues. I have also downloaded the drivers for the wireless card from Intel prior to retoring the computer- still no change.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 14th, 2009 11:00

kaydenmom,

Did you try connecting the laptop to the wireless router using an ethernet cable. Then press the reset button in the back of the router for 30 seconds. This resets it back to factory.

Log in to the wireless router. You should be able to change everything in the wireless router, unless you don't have .net framework, available through Windows Updates and Download Latest Java

Can you go and try to connect at A WiFi Location?

Did you try installing the 5100 drivers from Intel's Website?

I don't think you mentioned the Operating system on your Studio 1737. What version of Vista do you have installed? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?(Control panel, system, it should state it there)

I have a Studio 1737 Vista Home Premium 32-bit system with a 5100n wireless card working with my Linksys WRT54GS. I use the settings mentioned and have no problems with anything connecting to my network.

What Virus protection are you using?

Rick

Rick

9 Posts

August 14th, 2009 12:00

Hi Rick- I tried the connecting via ethernet and resetting- nothing. I'll try @ a hotspot if I can't get anything else to work... I've got the kids runnign around right now. I managed to mess around with the router and make some changes (still couldn't change the channel) but no luck. I installed the drivers yesterday from Intel prior to this mornings reset, but all it did was put the driver on the computer- still wouldn't connect. I am running Vista 64-bit... I don't have a virus system installed yet as it needs the internet to connect and set up & I can't get to the internet (but the system came with McAfee. The computer does not have any programs or extras on it at this point- it is factory default- I haven't been able to do anything on it since taking out of the box yesterday morning- since I've been trying to solve this problem for over 24 hours now... sigh... :(

Any other idea other than a hot spot? I am so happy you are giving me some ideas and am happy to keep on trying until I throw the darn thing through the window! :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 14th, 2009 12:00

kaydenmom,

I would un-install McAfee. Use the McAfee REMOVAL TOOL. Sometimes McAfee interferes.

Download and install FREE Avast Home Edition you register and they give you a key for a year. When it goes to run our, you register again and it's free, again.

Since it's still new, I would Contact Dell Tech Support. I would use the online chat, that way they can take control of your computer.

I us-installed McAfee, Dell DataSafe, Dell Remote Access and Dell Support Center from my computer as I do not use these programs. Most of them want a fee and I can do these things myself, for FREE.

Keep my posted.

Rick

No Events found!