Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2007 16:00

New Network Problems

I have a network problem.  I just got a laptop and wireless router for Christmas and I am trying to set it up.  I have everything connected and can connect to the internet from both computer without problems.  However, I am having troubles setting up a network to share files and a printer.  Here is my setup:

A desktop computer connected to the router by cable and a laytop connected by wireless.  Both computers are running XP Pro.  The router is a D-Link system. 

The problem I have is that only the laytop shows up in My Network Places.  I can never see the desktop.  I can get shared files from the laytop with the desktop, but not the reverse.  I have tried to run the network setup wizard on the desktop a number of times, but it does not help. I just can not get the desktop address to show up in My Network Places or be able to get shared files from it on the laytop. 

My desktop is a Dell 4000

Any ideas?

28K Posts

January 7th, 2007 20:00

On any computer running Windows XP with SP1, disable the Windows XP firewall. It will not allow File and Printer Sharing. On computers running Windows XP with SP2, make sure that the Windows XP firewall has File and Printer Sharing checked off on the Exceptions tab. If you are running any third party firewalls, like those provided by such programs as Zone Alarm, Norton Internet Security, or McAfee Security Suite, make sure they are configured to allow local network traffic.

Steve
No Events found!