Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2009 15:00

No Internet Access after reboot

I have a studio hybrid with a Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller driver version 7.6.820.2009 on a cat5 network. In October I did an in-place upgrade to Win7 (from the original Vista Home Premium). Since the upgrade I have an internet access issue every time I reboot. After the reboot I will have full access to my intranet, but no internet access. Network and Sharing center has a big red X between my home network and the internet. I tried disabling the firewall, but that has no effect. The only way I've been able to fix it has been to open device manager, uninstall the nic card and reboot. Once it comes back up, all is well again. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can avoid having to reboot twice?

19 Posts

December 17th, 2009 05:00

It sounds like a DNS issue.  I imagine you can disable then reenable the adapter to get the same result.

Run a command prompt (Start button....type CMD [enter])  and type these commands:

ping yahoo.com [enter]

ping 69.147.114.224 [enter]

Make a note of the response from each.

These are the same address but obviously one is a domain name and one an IP address.

If the IP address can be ping'd but not the domain name then connectivity is not an issue but DNS (domain name service) resolution is.

Most routers obtain DNS information automatically when they obtain a DHCP lease from the ISP and the machines using the NAT addresses behind the router do the same.  Your computer may not be acquiring this information in a reliable fashion OR it may have DNS entries in the IP configuration for your network adapter that are obsolete, incorrect, etc.  Check the IPv4 settings - for the time being you may want to set everything to automatic, reboot and check status.

Run another command prompt and type IPCONFIG/ALL [enter]

This will show your IP address, gateway and DNS entries (among other things) - see if you can ping the DNS servers and in turn a domain (yahoo.com) and an Internet address 69.147.114.224.

A troubleshooting step is to hard-code EVERYTHING i.e. set your IP to a static address and manually enter one or two DNS entries.  Do a Google search for your ISP's DNS servers - enter this information in the IPv4 settings for your adapter.  As an additional troubleshooting step you can use 4.2.2.1 as a 'known good' DNS server address (it's one of level 3's) temporarily.

3.4K Posts

December 17th, 2009 06:00

Hello,

Maybe THIS page will help setting up and troubleshooting the Network and Sharing Center.

11 Posts

December 17th, 2009 16:00

Hello,

Maybe THIS page will help setting up and troubleshooting the Network and Sharing Center.

Thanks, but I've tried all this already.Troubleshooter can't identify any issues :)

11 Posts

December 17th, 2009 16:00

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

11 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 16:00

Sorry for getting back with this so late. You were right about just disabling and enabling the nic card to fix the issue. I still can't access anything outside my intranet without doing this. Pinging the ip address fails. Ipconfig identified my DNS servers, all are unavailable until after I reenable the adapter. So yes, it is a DNS issue, the question becomes why I'm blocked from the internet and access to the dns servers.

19 Posts

December 28th, 2009 05:00

Sorry but that's a bit unclear.  'All are unavailable' - does this refer to the DNS servers or web addresses or both or neither?

Can you ping the DNS addresses?  Can you ping a domain name?

No Events found!