Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2011 23:00

No Internet Connection after a Virus Removal

Hello,

I recently discovered viruses on my Dell Inspiron N5010, on two different occasions.  The first two viruses were taken care of, but McAfee virus scan always stopped working when 75% done.  So, I kept scanning multiple times every day.  Within a couple of days, I found another virus, and got rid of it, too.  Then, when I restarted the computer, I had no internet connection. 

My computer is connected to the network , but not to the Internet.  All other computers and iPods at home are connected to the internet on the same wireless network, and they are working as usual.

My OS is Windows 7, and my computer uses DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card.

I tried all kinds of things recommended on the Internet to restore my connection, with no success.  I tried system restore, but all the restore points before this problem were deleted.  (by viruses?)  I contacted McAfee, but none of their suggestions worked to restore the connection.

Everything else on my computer seems to be working although McAfee virus scan (full scan) now takes a whole day to finish.  (It finds no viruses.)  I set my computer never to sleep, but it sleeps anyway.  I even tried my system backup disc, hoping to restore the factory setting, but the disc always receives an error message, and never did a single thing for me.  I made another copy of system backup, which ended up with the same results.

Could anyone help me with this issue?  I wouldn't mind resetting my computer to its original state if it resolves the problem, but I just don't know how to make my system backup disc work.

Thank you,

Akiko

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 5th, 2011 11:00

You are not going to like this answer, but if it was me, I'd do a Factory Restore.  F8 for Vista/ W7

April 5th, 2011 23:00

Hello IEEE488,

It worked!  Thank you so much!  I had seen the option earlier, but didn't quite realize that was to reset the computer to a factory setting, until I read your response.  I don't mind starting all over--it's like getting a new computer.  This is much better than having a computer that doesn't connect to the outside world.

Your help has been much appreciated.  Thank you.

Akiko

P.S.  I like your Totoro icon.  :emotion-1:

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 6th, 2011 07:00

Hello IEEE488,

It worked!  Thank you so much!  I had seen the option earlier, but didn't quite realize that was to reset the computer to a factory setting, until I read your response.  I don't mind starting all over--it's like getting a new computer.  This is much better than having a computer that doesn't connect to the outside world.

Your help has been much appreciated.  Thank you.

Akiko

P.S.  I like your Totoro icon.  :emotion-1:

I am glad that worked out for you. 

And, Totoro is great!!!  :emotion-2:

No Events found!