Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DD

September 14th, 2005 20:00

No Network Adapter in Device Manager

I have a Dell/Optiplex GX1, using a speedstream 5100 modem (Efficient Networks). I can get the modem to connect with the internet. The message is no network adapters (Error 769). Do I need to buy an network adapter or download drivers? Also I am running windows xp.

Thanks a bunch for the information and assistance.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 15th, 2005 22:00

@Dexter Dale wrote:
I have a Dell/Optiplex GX1, using a speedstream 5100 modem (Efficient Networks). I can get the modem to connect with the internet. The message is no network adapters (Error 769). Do I need to buy an network adapter or download drivers? Also I am running windows xp.

Thanks a bunch for the information and assistance.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=892889

You may receive Error 678 or Error 769 when you try to connect to the Internet or when you try to browse the Internet after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

Error 769 "The specified destination is not reachable" 

CAUSE
Typically, you receive these error messages when one of the following conditions is true:

1. A network cable is disconnected.
2. The modem has been disabled.
3. The modem drivers are corrupted.
4. Spyware is running on the computer and is interfering with the connection.
5. Winsock has to be repaired.
6. Third-party firewall software is blocking the connection.

9 Posts

September 21st, 2013 21:00

I also have used an Optiples GX1 for about 8 years and using the 3Com NIC connection get on-line well. I have loaded numerous GX1s with Win XP Home and all needed drivers needed. Recently  loaded the same Win XP 2002 Version on a later model Optiplex 760 (2008 or 09 and it required 7 additional drivers from the Dell Home page. To check go to Start / Control Panel / System / Device Manager ... anything flagged with a Yellow "?" needs to be down loaded and installed.

No Events found!