Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

PU

October 27th, 2004 18:00

One way network with 8600/Intel 2200 combination

Just got a new 8600 this morning with XP Pro and Intel 2200.

I have an existing peer to peer WLAN 802b spec with various cards, base machine hardware and operating systems (2 x Win 98SE, 2 x XP Pro, 1 x XP Home).

Connected the 8600 OK after a little experimentation and can now see and access all the other machines currently around (all but one of the XP Pro systems) fine.

The other systems can all see the 8600. But they can't access it no matter what I do to create shares. Always the get the 'not accessible' message and Path could not be found.

It maybe that my older network cards can't fight their way past the newer 2200 spec. The only thing I have not yet tried is removing the 128bit WEP security codes but it would be very disappointing to find that was the cause. Especially as it is working one way.

Any suggestions? Have I missed something simple? I have considered XP permissions but the more detailed variants of permissions under "Networkk Connections"  - like "Incoming Connections" as suggested by the XP "Help and Support Centre" - don't exist.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Grant

7.3K Posts

October 27th, 2004 19:00

Try entering the router's WEP key in HEX and not using a passphrase.  Key generators work differently, manufacturer to manufacturer.

October 27th, 2004 22:00

Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have been trying to reply for over an hour but browser returns error message. Trying a different one now.

The WEP code was entered in hex as that is the only record I could find! Also one of the other cards only takes hex.

There is something odd going on somewhere. Will try a driver download tonight but this is a brand new machine so I would be disappointed if that resolved the problem. Especially as it works one way!

Grant

October 27th, 2004 22:00

Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have been trying to reply for over an hour but browser returns error message. Trying a different one now.

The WEP code was entered in hex as that is the only record I could find! Also one of the other cards only takes hex.

There is something odd going on somewhere. Will try a driver download tonight but this is a brand new machine so I would be disappointed if that resolved the problem. Especially as it works one way!

Grant

October 27th, 2004 23:00

Hi John,

Grant

Hi John, Thanks for your suggestion. I have been trying to reply for over an hour but browser returns error message. Trying a different one now. The WEP code was entered in hex as that is the only record I could find! Also one of the other cards only takes hex. There is something odd going on somewhere. Will try a driver download tonight but this is a brand new machine so I would be disappointed if that resolved the problem. Especially as it works one way! Grant

Hmm. I guess the server was just too busy then ...

October 28th, 2004 09:00

SOLVED!!

Very simple in the end  :smileymad:

The hardly mentioned little red icon with an M in it was not, as I thought, McAfee anti virus checker but McAfee PersonalFirewall which is by default configured to stop all access by anything it seems (although a 1394 direct connection worked fine just to throw me off the scent)

Never come across a personal firewall app to date so I assumed that the various responses in the network setup/XP and similar locations would set rules. Not so. Personalfirewall cares not at all and blocks things anyway. So the 90 day trial may well have me puzzled a few more times yet. Should I remove it I wonder? (Should I subscribe at the end of the trial?)

It would have been nice to have a had a specific warning (or whatever) about the potential of the application to influence network configuration efforts so insidiously - especially since we are looking at systems specifically intended for wireless connections.

Oh well. 24 hours wasted and one more lesson learned.

Grant

October 28th, 2004 20:00

Err, not quite solved after all.

There seems to be something about XP Pro that doesn't like to allow browse access to the peer-to-peer network from "View Workgroup Computers".

You can create and use new entries in "My network places" with no problem, just not browse the network.

Maybe it is part of the same development in XP that has seen Explorer crash about 8 times in 48 hours - twice taking Dr. Watson with it.

Worrying.

Grant

7.3K Posts

October 28th, 2004 21:00

Is XP's built-in firewall disabled?

October 28th, 2004 22:00

Yep, all firewalls (that I have found) are disabled.

I'm on a dial-up connection so a working firewall is no bit deal to have or not I reckon.

Found some interesting links over in the software forum re SP2 (which is installed on the new arrival) and WiFi.

As I am using peer-to-peer I suspect I may get all sorts of variable results depending upon which machine establishes the network. Normally not a problem as the old Win98SE system is on permanently as is the newer XP Home based system. Unless they need re-booting of course - which they do from time to time. At that point the 'initiating' machine might change and with it the 'rules of engagement' that apply.

I'm guessing but that would certainly explain the apparently random nature of strange things happening from time to time.

However the reason for the XP Pro systems, the older one not being at SP 2 level as far as i recall, not being able to 'browse' what must be a less security constrained version of the network still leaves me wondering.

Still, I'm fairly sure it is an XP issue not a network card problem at least in its current guise.

Thanks for the suggestions. I always find ideas useful, directly or indirectly. Much appreciated.

Grant

October 29th, 2004 14:00

Most interesting.

I have changed no settings today but all connections are now working in all directions as far as I can tell.

So, what might have happened?

Well, the new machine put itself to sleep at some point and was restarted. And I indavertently killed the power to my XP Home desktop system when opening a drawer in my desk (another first!), so that has been re-booted.

So I guess the device which initiated the network may have changed and that the settings it defines allow cross-access to all machines.

If only I knew which system was in control of my life ...

Anyone know how to tell?

Or maybe the correct recipe is simple to mix the ingredients and let simmer gentle for about 24 hours until ready.

If anyone has one of those back to front white coat things I'll be glad to wear it ...!

October 31st, 2004 19:00

Update.

The visibility of connections and availabililty of the workgroup machine listing seems highly variable but most of the time the connections will work. Click on a machine in the window listing available machines (not necessarily current but ehren last refreshed I guess) and it may advise non-availability. Either immediately or after some considereable delay.

Clisk again and it will work fine, instantly!

Connection speeds also highly variable on the b spec ad-hoc config I am using. If one machine is searching for something the network can be hung for a while.

Still, not as much of a problem as Windows (SP2 XP) crashing for no specified reason and then misinforming about the files it claims to have created with evidence for analysis of the problem. One file not in existence, the other not where is was reported as being.

I am getting seriously worried.

Grant

No Events found!