Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2008 11:00

Poor Wireless "N" speed vs "G"

Hello All I have a new E6400 with the intel 5300 abgn card.  I have a new linksys router (wrt160n) and I cannot seem to get good performance out of the type "N". I connect to the router at 270 mbs

with get 4-6mbs doen load speed on "G" and 6-800 kbs on "N",  any ideas

(also I have tried another router Netgear "N" same issue)

Thanks

Gary

14.4K Posts

September 29th, 2008 20:00

"N" is not a certified spec as of yet. As such there are different ways that different manufactures implement their N equipment. So what this means is not all N equipment will play nicely together.

So in order to obtain the best performance your adapter should match the router. 

The WRT160n is a dual band router and it needs the dual band card to achieve top performance. 

I have a similar rig with a WRT600n and a Wpc600n adapter and it works very well in my inspiron 6000

September 29th, 2008 21:00

Hi! the best thing that we can do is to purchase an adapter of the same brand of the router ...

5 Posts

September 29th, 2008 21:00

I have the new intel 5300.  Which i believe is a dual band card.  i just dont understand the poor download speed test vs upload. against "G"

5 Posts

September 29th, 2008 22:00

i understand..  maybe when it becomes a standard it will be better. I will have to stay with the "G" 

I thought by have a good wirless "N" card in my laptop intel 5300 agn i would be all set.

FYI. when i connect to the "N" router at work it is blazing.  Maybe home stuff isnt as good

Thanks for your help

14.4K Posts

September 29th, 2008 23:00

Mine gives really good performance. and has been rock solid for 3 mths now. I like havig the 5 gig side as at the moment there is not much interference on that band.

5 Posts

September 30th, 2008 11:00

Are you using the Intel 5300 Wifi card ?  Maybe I will try the wrt610.  I am trying a Netgear WNRD3300 (dual Band) and have the same performance issues. this is why i thought it may be some setting on my wireless card

gary

14.4K Posts

September 30th, 2008 17:00

I have the WPC600N PCMCIA adapter in the laptop. This card should work with the wrt610n.

Again linksys router and netgear card may use different schemes to implement the N

1.7K Posts

October 1st, 2008 22:00

I've heard of problems with connections to N routers dropping back to G, or even B, speeds due to differences in implementation of the N-specification.  It will be nice when a final version is finally released and the manufacturers actually get the compatibility problems worked out.

5 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 11:00

I agree, We are left to find the combinations.. I wouldnt have expected to buy a type "N" card for my new laptop with type "N".. But I understand the reason why. Lets hope they get the standard worked out and our routers and adapters are upgradeable.

BTW we have an Aruba Networks Access Point at work and I can connect at full speed it is great. BUT it cost $$$$

Thanks

Gary

No Events found!