Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2012 18:00

Problem with Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Hi,

So I've been browsing through various posts on here that seem to have expressed similar problems that I'm having.

I'm unable to connect to the internet because my Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card says that "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I tried various things, but maybe the best thing for me (since I'm not the best with computers) is if someone could be be a fresh set of instructions, so I know that it can help me with my situation, instead of me trying to guess if someone else's is similar enough.

I'll give any extra info if they can tell me what I should post to help with the problem.

I have an Dell Inspiron 1520. I tried downloading various drivers and suggestions like the one posted by Larry Mullen

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/p/19241207/19780707.aspx#19780707

And others. I've tried uninstalling the Card and reinstalling it, etc.

Can anyone help me out?

Sorry for reposting this problem

Andrew

17 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 14:00

Ok, thanks.

I did find something though. When I was doing a diagnostic test, with the Driver Installation disk (you insert the disk, restart the computer, then hit F12, then run diagnostics), one of the tests resulted in an error and it said:

Error Code  0600:5126

Msg: Hardware Detect Error- Inverter cable not detected

So I'm wondering if that might be related to the problem that I'm having?

17 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 13:00

So that would be an internal problem and not something to do with the drivers maybe?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 14:00

AMiller_01,

I think the Inverter cable is to the screen. I remember seeing something that the diagnostics has an issue with detecting the cable on older model systems. The cable works but the diagnostics report wrong. The diagnostics was written with the new cable.

Rick

17 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 14:00

Oh okay. That's kind of weird, since the cd came with my laptop. But at least I don't have to open up my computer then.

I checked and my computer isn't under warranty anymore. So do you still think I should go ahead and try to revert to factory settings? Or something else?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 15:00

AMiller_01,

The choice is your. Make sure if you decide to, backup all files and folders that you cannot afford to lose.

The easiest method, if the recovery partition is there and working properly Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Manual method is How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Make sure to install the drivers in the correct order. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

17 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 17:00

So just to be sure that I'm doing this right:

Do I want to use the directions on the link you gave me (support.dell.com/.../document)

Or this one (support.dell.com/.../document)

Because it says at the top of your link that inspirons need the second list of directions.

So should I do Step 1 of the first link and then do the inspiron steps? Or just do all the directions of the first link?

17 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 18:00

I have Windows Vista, and that's what it showed me (support.dell.com/.../document)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 18:00

AMiller_01,

Not sure which operating system you have. Did you select the correct operating system?

If Windows 7, did you create the Windows 7 - IMPORTANT Windows 7 Backup Disks to create

If yes, then you can use Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 19:00

AMiller_01,

Yes, have heard people doing step 3.

Rick

17 Posts

April 4th, 2012 09:00

Ok thank you. I'm sorry but I have another question, I just want to make sure I got this.

So after I do all the steps on (support.dell.com/.../document)

Then I want  to download all of those drivers in the correct order?

I'm a little confused about backing up my files; how it explains it in step 1. When I do that, what files am I backing up? All of my files and folders, including personal stuff? Or  only system related things?  (sorry if this doesn't make sense)

What I just did, last night, was I copied all of my personal files etc. on to my external harddrive.

So  I'll also save the backup on to my external harddrive too.

So after I restore my system to factory settings. Do I want to go ahead with step 4 and restore my files? And  then download all of the drivers in the correct order?

I guess my main concern is that if I restore my backed up files, like how it explains in step 4, will I be putting the possible problem back on to my computer? Do you know what I mean?

Like I said I'm probably completely misunderstanding the process. So in summary this is what I should do:

Step 1 through Step 4 and THEN download drivers?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 4th, 2012 13:00

AMiller_01,

Saving personal files and folders, like pictures, documents, Videos and other tiems that you cannot afford to lose.

If you use the Recovery partition, it will install everything for you and no need to install drivers in the correct order. IF the Recovery Partition does NOT work, the you'll need to do a manual installation and install the drivers in the correct order. If you made Dell Data Safe disks, the operating system can be installed that way and it also installs everything, so the drivers do not have to be installed.

Rick

17 Posts

April 5th, 2012 18:00

So I finished the factory restore and restored all of my files, but I still have the same problem.

Is it possible that by restoring all of my files, I put the problem back on to my computer?

I was going to try to do another factory reset, but instead install the drivers manually instead of restoring my files.

(And I guess if that doesn't work then its an internal problem?)

Should I go ahead and try this or do you have any other suggestions or things I can do?

17 Posts

April 6th, 2012 12:00

In addition to my question above I noticed something through the Dell PC Checkup:

I was prompted to do a PC checkup and so when I did it, it said there weren't any problems, but what struck me  was underneath  Network adapter it  said:

Dell PC Checkup Report:

Network adapter

Networking Device: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Cable status: Disconnected

DHCP Enabled: Yes

IP Addresses: 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0

Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

WINS Servers: 163.244.112.253 , 163.244.101.26

WINS Enabled: Yes

MAC Address: 00-1D-09-A9-A7-32

Broadcast: 0.0.0.0

Cable Status: Disconnected

WINS Servers: , -

The cable status is disconnected. Does that mean an actual cable inside  my computer is disconnected? Or that I'm not connected to  the internet?

17 Posts

April 6th, 2012 16:00

So I'm going to try again but

Can I revert to factory settings (without restoring the backup) and then use that guide for installing drivers in the correct order?

Or do I  have to  do the manual guide to reinstalling windows (support.dell.com/.../document) in order to install the drivers manually ?

April 7th, 2012 02:00

No Events found!