Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2009 16:00

RCA DCM 425 cable modem + Vista 64-bit desktop?

I'm trying to track down the cause of blue screens I've been getting daily on my new T5400 running 64-bit Vista Business (SP1).  Vista's "Problem Reports" says "This problem was caused by a compatibility issue between this version of Windows and DCM245 Cable Modem."  But the label on the modem says DCM425, and it looks like the DCM425 pictures on the Web.  Recommendation is to go to Thomson's Web site, which doesn't contain any drivers or compatibility info (for either).

Has anyone used this modem on a 64-bit Vista desktop?  Have you had any stability problems?  Are drivers or firmware needed?  Could the modem be the cause of the blue screens?  Any suggestions appreciated.

5 Posts

January 10th, 2009 21:00

I looked into this a little further.  When I first set up the computer, I connected the computer by both USB and Ethernet.  Later I removed the USB connection.  I think that the Vista message related to the USB connection, and I don't need a driver at all to connect with the cable modem via Ethernet.  In fact what's connected to the computer is not the modem -- it's a Netgear wireless router.

Does that sound right?  I'm new to setting up network, so any advice is appreciated.

No Events found!