Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2009 09:00

Recovery of Files from a Hard Drive for a Computer I no longer have access to,

Okay, to make a long story some what shorter...  Husband and I are going through a divorce.  He kept MY Dell Laptop that is registered to ME.  It's not worth fighting over the device, but I want my pictures and files off of it.  Can Dell go in remotely and get all my files?  I have had Dell go into my computer before to fix things.  If I fight him for the computer, I know he will just delete everything before I get it.  It's a no-win situation.  The pictures I want are of my baby - all his baby pictures are on my laptop.  Without those pics, I have lost his first 2 1/2 years of life!  If I do fight him for the computer and he does delete everything, but I still get the computer in the end, can that information be brought back up? 

2 Posts

October 9th, 2009 11:00

How much you get back when you get the laptop will depend very much on the familiarity of the other party with the way computers operate.

I can almost guarantee if he does delete them, the extent of that deletion will be to empty the trash on the desktop.  What type of programs would I be looking at to do this?

6.4K Posts

October 9th, 2009 11:00

I am very sorry for your troubles, but unfortunately logging into a computer remotely must have some cooperation from the distant end.  Given your description of the problem I think that such cooperation is unlikely.  Performing such an access uncooperatively regrettably requires more knowledge than I have, and possibly some difficult to obtain software as well.

With regard to deletion of the files, you never really delete any of the file data from a hard drive.  That is why security companies can make money selling file recovery services.  If the data is simply deleted recovery is easy.  There are a few programs that are able to recover deleted data as though it were never deleted.  If an individual deletes data and follows that up with a program that writes random data into the sectors from which the files were deleted, recovery becomes more difficult.  How much you get back when you get the laptop will depend very much on the familiarity of the other party with the way computers operate.

6.4K Posts

October 9th, 2009 12:00

My favorite for this was once Norton Utilities, but that was fifteen or twenty years ago.  If you Google "undelete" and "unerase", you will get a host of possibilities, some free or shareware, some that you must pay for.  One of the free programs I've heard nice things about is recuva, but be cautious about what you select that's free.  You can occasionally run across things you don't want along with those that you do.

1 Message

October 28th, 2009 01:00

Best in this situation is to try some good undelete program such as stellar undelete and many more I suggest this company because I recently found this one in Google. For more info you can go here: http://www.stellarinfo.com/undelete.htm

No Events found!