Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2014 21:00

(SOLVED!)No Internet Unless I Enable LAN Boot ROM on XPS 8700

Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can help me.

I no longer have an internet connection through my ethernet port unless I go into the BIOS and enable LAN Boot ROM. If I do that I have a connection but it shows up as, "network 2."

I've tried to connect over wifi, but it keeps asking me for a key.. I've never had to do that before nor do I know what that is. There were a couple of times I got to a wifi screen that asked for a password. I'd enter my password, but it kept telling me my password was incorrect. It's not.

I've a wireless printer. Could not print to that either although it shows up.

My router seems to be working. I'm using my iPad on it now to post this. Both the iPad and my girlfriend's Android tablet connect to it without any issues.

I have another hard drive that I installed XP on and it connects through the ethernet port no problem. Same machine.

This is all that I've done leading up to my connectivity issue:

I installed Virtualbox because I needed XP. It connected to the internet without issue. However, I didn't like it so I uninstalled it.

I then disconnected the main drive and installed XP on a secondary drive. To do so I had to enter the BIOS and put the machine in Legacy Mode to do this. I promptly downloaded and installed the Realtek driver and was able to connect to the internet. I shut down the PC, reconnected the main hard drive, put the computer back to its normal boot mode and restarted it. This is when I noticed I had no connection.

I was able to ascertain that the microsoft teredo tunneling adapter had a yellow sign next to it. Was able to correct that after much trial, error and poking around various forums.

I've tried to connect manually. Nothing.
I've upgraded the BIOS to A06 hoping that would "correct" any mistake I'd made.
I've reset all the BIOS settings back to their default selections. (Both manually and using F9).
I've uninstalled and reinstalled every network driver in the Device Manager section (including the invisible ones).
I've reset the TCP/Internet Protocol and the Winsock Protocol.

Finally, I did a total re-install of Windows 8. But, still no connectivity unless I enable LAN Boot ROM in BIOS.

Hoping someone can help me.

Thanks for your time.

5 Posts

June 16th, 2014 11:00

I've been Googling this for a few days now. But, It's fixed! 

I uninstalled the Realtek driver, enabled wifi and downloaded a new one from Dell. Installed that and I was good to go. Previously, I'd uninstall that driver, then restart the computer and there it was all over again. I'd run the driver update but when it was done, I still had the same issue; no ethernet connectivity. I still don't know why doing things the way I did worked, but it did.

So, if anyone else has this problem with the Dell XPS 8700 try these steps:

First download the ethernet driver from Dell and transfer it to your PC.

Under Device Manager > Network adapters delete the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. DO NOT RESTART THE PC, YET!

Run the driver installer.

When it's finished, then restart the PC.

You should have ethernet connectivity.

I'm not a computer guy. I just bumble around till I find something that works. So, anyone reading this having the same issues, take what I say with a grain of salt.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 15th, 2014 05:00

Hi Samson1701,

I've moved your message to the wireless and networking forum for more help. Please tell me if this system was able to connect previously, or if you are just starting it up for the first time.

Good luck!

5 Posts

June 15th, 2014 14:00

Oh, okay. Sorry to have put it in the wrong section. I'm still new at this.

Anyway,  yes, it connected previously without issue. Not sure if this helps, but I'm running Windows 8.

5 Posts

June 15th, 2014 19:00

Also, don't know if this means anything, but I ran ipconfig and the Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address is 169.254.234.247 Non of the other devices using this modem (all WiFi) have anything close to that. Maybe, that helps?

1 Message

February 11th, 2015 12:00

Hi SAMSON1701,

I am having the same problem with my XPS 8700 running Windows 8.1. I would like to try your fix, but I can't find the ethernet driver on the Dell website. Is it listed under another name, or do you by any chance have the link?

Thank you! 

bengesze

2 Posts

February 19th, 2015 14:00

[RESOLVED]

I had the same issue as well. like bengesze i was unable to find the driver on the XPS 8700 Drivers & Downloads page.

however, i found a similar driver that appears to be working.

below is the link. it is called Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Driver (for Vostro 5480). i then followed SAMSON1701's instructions. 

a wee bit disappointed that Dell doesn't have the proper driver on that page.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=NJPVV

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 19th, 2015 14:00

2 Posts

February 19th, 2015 15:00

1 Message

May 27th, 2015 12:00

Thanks Samson1701!  Had the exact problem this afternoon and your fix worked perfectly.:emotion-1:

No Events found!